We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interpreting the Car Rental Policy on Insurance

Oshkosh
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Interpreting the Car Rental Policy on Insurance

Can someone help me interpret the following as to how much extra I will need to pay or have put on my credit card to ensure SCDW? I don't understand the Excess 1,200 EUR?

Collision damage waiver (CDW): Includes 13.5% Tax; Excess 1,200 EUR

Complete cover package: 16 EUR per Day Includes 13.5% Tax; Excess 0 EUR

Theft waiver (TW): Includes 13.5% Tax; Excess 1,200 EUR

Glass/Tyre waiver: 5 EUR per Day (Excludes Tax)

Personal accident insurance: 6 EUR per Day (Excludes Tax)

Third party liability protection (TP): Includes 13.5% Tax

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Interpreting the Car Rental Policy on Insurance

I believe that if you have a World Card MC that offers insurance protection in Ireland, you can skip all of these added costs.

Edited: 11 May 2014, 04:45
Oshkosh
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Interpreting the Car Rental Policy on Insurance

Thanks currently I don't have that particular Mastercard evaluating if it is worth applying for?

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
533 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Interpreting the Car Rental Policy on Insurance

Some companies will allow you to provide a letter from your credit card company in lieu of a hold. Your card company just telling you you are covered is not sufficient. Most card companies exclude Ireland and a few other countries, so don't be surprised if you cannot get a letter.

The only other way to avoid a hold on your card for more than 1000€ is to purchase 'excess' insurance or 'Super CDW'. Different agencies charge different amounts for SCDW - they will have to give you a quote.

My advice, and the advice of several on this forum, is to get the excess insurance and not worry about the rest.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
11,124 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Interpreting the Car Rental Policy on Insurance

Excess - maximum of what you have to pay in case of damage to car. The hire company will put a hold on your credit card for EUR 1200 reducing your credit allowance. If you take the extra cover at EUR 16 per day then the excess is reduced to zero and no hold on your card.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Interpreting the Car Rental Policy on Insurance

Been a long time since the "Hold" was only €1200 ? Some companies are up to €3000 these days.. Who are you considering? Complete cover is not complete unless Glass is covered, Tyres are a different animal.. Third Party insurance has to be provided by Law and should be included in the basic day rate not sold as an option..

Not ALL world mastercards are accepted by ALL companies some accept one and not another other accept another one and not the same as *** gets complicated but only the provider will say yes or no on which card they accept and they won't tell you, you have to ask.. Then if anything does happen its down to you to do the recovering of your money which the rental company take from the "Hold" and not everything is covered in many cases..

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Interpreting the Car Rental Policy on Insurance

Based on our experience, I agree with all that has been said about the MC World Card coverage.

I shopped around for the best MC World Card deal and made sure that they would provide the necessary letter to have the insurances waived. We went with a Capitol One MC World Card, which also had no annual fee and not int'l transaction fees. They provided the necessary letter and we had no issues with our car rental. It saved us a gob of money!

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Interpreting the Car Rental Policy on Insurance

The trouble is not all car hire companies will accept the MC World Card coverage. The client would still have to pay out for any damage up to the excess amount and claim it back later.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Interpreting the Car Rental Policy on Insurance

I don't see that as "trouble" . . . on that the OP has to do their homework (which it appears they are doing by asking folks questions here).

My advice would be to rent from a company that will accept "the letter" and coverage provided through the MC World Card.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Interpreting the Car Rental Policy on Insurance

All companies accept Credit Card coverage its the Specific cards that individual companies accept.. Its Not the Card itself but the Insurance underwriter for that specific card who has to be acceptable to the Insurance Underwriter for the rental car company or the Leasing company who provide the cars that rental companies rent out.

Very few Underwriters actually cover Temporary (28 days or less) Insurance in recent years and they guard their territory quite fiercely. Overlapping simply doesn't happen otherwise 2 or more Underwriters would be involved in a single claim.

Complicated.. but manageable..

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,009 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Interpreting the Car Rental Policy on Insurance

In short buy the super cdw or you'll have a large hold on your card. That'll be great and save you a gob of money unless you have an accident/incident.....Then you'll lose all or part of the hold and it'll be up to you to get reimbursed after you return home. No help will be gotten from the rental company...

So you decide. If you go cheap and have a claim, will it be worth the aggravation and the wait to get your money returned?.....