We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another itinerary to vet!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Another itinerary to vet!

Hi to the friendly and helpful TA world:

I've been lurking for some time and think I have a doable, if somewhat ambitious, itinerary for your critique. I'd like to see a lot but at a relaxed pace. I'm a late-20s woman, traveling alone, with moderate physical ability. I'm looking mostly to enjoy Ireland's natural beauty and a pint or two in the evening. I'll rent a car and stay at B&Bs; I don't mind driving for hours, as long as there are things to see/stop at along the way and not just hedges lined to the road.

October 9: Depart Canada.

October 10: Arrive Dublin. Explore Dublin. Attempt to shake off jetlag.

October 11: More Dublin. FAI vs. Gibraltar.

October 12: Pick up car. To Coleraine, stopping at Newgrange.

October 13: Giant's Causeway. Drive to Sligo.

October 14: Knocknarea, etc. Stay Sligo.

October 15: Slieve League, etc. Drive to Clifden.

October 16: Connemara, Sky Drive, Roundstone. Stay Clifden.

October 17: Connemara, Kylemore Abbey. Drive to Galway.

October 18: Aran Islands. Stay Galway.

October 19: Cliffs of Moher, The Burren, Coole Park. Drive to Killarney.

October 20: National Park, Gap of Dunloe, Muckross House. Stay Killarney.

October 21: Ring of Beara, Gougane Barra. Stay Killarney.

October 22: Dingle Peninsula, Slea Head. Stay Dingle.

October 23: Drive to Kilkenny, stopping at Rock of Cashel.

October 24: Kilkenny Castle, Wicklow Mountains, Glendalough. Stay Howth/Dublin.

October 25: Depart Dublin mid-day.

Specific questions, in addition to inviting general commentary:

1. Should I skip the trip to Northern Ireland? I'd still want to see from Sligo onwards though so I really only gain one day (and save lots of driving) if I skip it. (But I really want to see the Giant's Causeway.)

2. Is it reasonable to take in the Cliffs and the Burren in one day (October 19) and do more than pop out for ten minutes and take a picture?

3. How the heck to you buy tickets to the FAI vs. Gilbraltar game? I only seem to be able to purchase season's tickets right now.

4. Will I be 'natured out' come October 18? I'm debating skipping the Aran Islands for a lazy city day.

Many thanks in advance!

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another itinerary to vet!

Hi, you are taking on a lot of driving but it is doable if you get a early start ( Mid October would mean daylight disappearing 7.30/8.00pm). On Oct 15, if you are staying in Sligo, you would then have to drive north for 1.5 hours to Sliabh League and then retrace your steps back down through Sligo to get to Clifden ( which is in itself anywhere between 2 to 3 hours depending on what way you go). Also Oct 19, the best way to go to Kerry from Galway ( as a visitor) is the way you described. Again, you will be looking at 3.5 to 4 hours in a car ( without stops). Just making you aware of the amount of time behind the wheel

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another itinerary to vet!

Q3. Don't worry about tickets for that match. There will be plenty about on the day ( Gibraltar wouldn't have the same appeal as e.g. England) You will be able to purchase in advance on http://www.ticketmaster.ie/ closer to the day.

Q4. If you had to choose between staying in a city ( albeit Galway is a brilliant place but you will be here for 2 nights anyway and so should get a feel for the place), and going to Inis Mor, I would go for the islands.

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another itinerary to vet!

Oct 12. Have you a specific reason for staying in Coleraine? Portrush would be my town of choice ( just a few miles further on )

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Another itinerary to vet!

Thanks, dokgolf, for your thoughtful replies! Point taken about the diminished daylight hours... I may rethink some legs with that in mind. I could swap activities on the 14th and 15th as long as it leaves me with enough time in and around Sligo.

Glad tickets to the match will be available. Will it still be a rowdy, good time though? :)

No reason for Coleraine other than proximity to where I want to go. I'm actually looking at staying at Brown's Country House B&B which appears to be halfway between Portrush and Coleraine north-south, though a little to the east. Would I be better off right in Portrush?

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another itinerary to vet!

Portrush is my own preference because primarily, its on the sea. Its up to yourself. If you like the look of the b&B, then go for it. With regards to the atmosphere at the Gibraltar game, it probably won't be a raucous one. I'd imagine there will be a lot of families there as it won't be one the the more popular games to see( Gibraltar would be one of the weakest teams in world football) but should still be a bit of craic.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another itinerary to vet!

October the 19th stay in the Ennis/Adare region. then drive round Dingle on the way to Killarney. No need to Back track after Killarney and gives more time for the west Clare leg. http://goo.gl/maps/xMOHV

A couple more maps with points north of the Shannon http://goo.gl/maps/gl8uv & http://goo.gl/maps/L5ihu

Portrush also gets my vote.( http://www.avarest.com/ )

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,223 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another itinerary to vet!

I'd suggest that you chose between either Dingle or Beara to get the most out of your time

8. Re: Another itinerary to vet!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2015, 06:16