We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ideas for a short trip

Newton...
Level Contributor
6 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
ideas for a short trip

Oh wise Forum readers,

We are going to Ireland July 4 to July 8 - yes, I know - short trip. But we will return. We are starting from the UK - Manchester - flying from there into Waterford. Will rent a car and then head West - to Ring of Kerry, etc. Any ideas about how far we can realistically drive - with stops along the way each day - and where to stay. Need to be back in Waterford for flight mid-day July 8.

thanks, Elaine

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,161 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ideas for a short trip

Why Waterford?? why not Shannon/Cork/Dublin which gives more options and into one out from another means you can do an Arc between the two rather than back tracking?

Newton...
Level Contributor
6 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ideas for a short trip

Well, it's complicated....we need to get back to Manchester airport at a particular time on July 8 to catch another flight out to Iceland. Waterford had the best timing for us.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,558 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ideas for a short trip

Waterford -bar the glass showrooms-often seems to get ignored. West Waterford is really lovely and I'd plan a night somewhere between Waterford city and somewhere in Cork for your first night.

Some of the places in the area that don't get the hordes of buses would be :

www.dungarvantourism.com/welcome/web…

(You can drive up to the top of the mountain and then it's an amble down the path to the falls themselves.)

There's a "magic road" here, where your car will roll back up hill too!

A steam railway:

www.dungarvantourism.com/welcome/web…

Lismore is a heritage town and even though you can't get into the castle itself, you can explore the gardens

http://www.lismorecastle.com/

(Unless you want to rent it for the night!!)

The cathedral is beautiful too

www.heritagetowns.com/lismorehistory.shtml

Ardmore:

saintsandstones.net/saints-ardmore-journey.h…

Book lunch for the bar in the Cliffhouse hotel, the view from the windows over the bay or terrace are lovely and the hotel is worth seeing,for the way it has been built right into the cliff)

The Ardmore pottery has lovely for a browse with Irish gifts, made by craftspeople with not plastic shamrock in sight)

Next, you can get up early and head towards Killarney at your ease. I love Gougane Barra, again , not on the tour bus route :

http://www.gouganebarra.com/

You can visit the National Park , Torc waterfall, Ross castle ,jarvey trip (cheesy but fun)and Muckross house that day.

Your next day I'd get up REALLY early to do the ring of Kerry,get ahead of the tour buses etc.

Bean A has some great suggestions on this thread for the ROK

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186612-i487-k74344…

4. Re: ideas for a short trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2015, 06:17