We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hockey..

Val-d'Or, Quebec
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Hockey..

I know ice hockey isn't quite a popular attraction in Ireland, but do some of you suppose i could catch a game in a sports bar in the country? I will be in Ireland mid-june and the Stanley Cup finals start around the 10th, some

chances my team will be participating and it would be very enjoyable

to catch a match if possible!

Thanks!!

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hockey..

Where will you be in Ireland? We don't have sports bars in the North American sense but there would be some pubs in the larger cities that are well-endowed with TV screens. What time do the games typically start? With the time difference, evening matches would be in the middle of the night here so pubs will be shut. You're also dependent on there being a TV channel available here that shows ice hockey live. Bear in mind aswell that if there is soccer, gaelic football or hurling on at the same time, they're likely to take priority in any venue.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hockey..

Setanta Sports have NHL on, so most Irish bars will be able to put it on if you ask, provided Setanta have the match you want to see.

However, if it clashes with a bigger sporting fixture or if it's after about 8pm on a weekend night, you probably won't get lucky with asking.

Val-d'Or, Quebec
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hockey..

Kind of silly that I forgot about time discrepencies.. games will probably air around midnight in Ireland so I'll just hope I can catch games at the hotels.

Thanks very much for your responses!

County Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
758 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hockey..

I watched the Giants win the World Series 2 years ago on my I Pad in Edinburgh! So if you can't find it you can usually catch a game online.

Val-d'Or, Quebec
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hockey..

Will not be travelling with anything but a 2G phone, not a good idea ;) but Thanks for the heads up!

Do you think most hotels will have Setanta channel?

Edited: 14 May 2014, 09:20
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,116 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hockey..

So it looks like the games start between midnight and 2am Irish time. If you are in Dublin you could try the woolshed bar and grill which is a sports bar with lots of screens etc. they are open a few nights until 2-2:30am so you might get lucky. They also are in cork but not open late

http://www.woolshedbaa.com

Most hotels won't have setanta as it is not a free to air channel. They might have it in the residents bar though so if they have ask and they will put it on

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,116 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hockey..

You might also be interested to know there is a professional ice hockey team in Belfast! I believe there are some Americans and Canadians on the team. Not exactly NHL level but they topped their league last season but lost in the final round of the playoffs

http://www.belfastgiants.com

Edited: 14 May 2014, 09:49
8. Re: Hockey..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2015, 05:18