We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Birr Ireland for a week......help me decide...

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
927 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Birr Ireland for a week......help me decide...

Hi All,

There are four of us flying into Dublin in August. We will have a car for the week while we stay in Birr. Trying to get in as much as I can in 7 days.

Please help us plan. We have never been there before.

Thank you,

Sandi

Antarctica
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,254 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Birr Ireland for a week......help me decide...

Why Birr?

There is the Birr Castle Demesne. And Birr itself is a nice little town.

And you are close to the Slieve Bloom Mountains http://www.slievebloom.ie/

But you are too far, really, to do a day trip to Kerry.

Cork City and Cobh and Midleton (Jameson Whiskey Tour) would be a long day.

To be honest, to get as much as you can into 7 days, I would suggest you go somewhere else. Sorry for being so blunt.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
927 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Birr Ireland for a week......help me decide...

I guess it looked like it was central for day trips.

I will look at your suggestions.

Thank you so much,

Sandi

Antarctica
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,254 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Birr Ireland for a week......help me decide...

Its a pity you didn't come on here beforehand and ask.

Take a look at routes.aaireland.ie and you will get an idea of how far Birr is from the different locations (add on about 15% extra time for a more realistic estimate).

There is more information here midirelandtourism.ie/attractions/…

But certainly typical tourist places such as The Ring of Kerry, Dingle etc will be a bit far away.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,700 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Birr Ireland for a week......help me decide...

Birr is fairly central to the Island so if you have booked to stay there and can't change don't worry.. The Clare coat is a day trip. Cork/Blarney/Cobh (Kinsale) a full day trip.. we have been known to take a certain visitor to see Dingle and around, once. another full day.

Closer to hand Clonmacnoise, Athlone & Lough Ree, Shannonbridge, Lough Derg from Portumna to Ballina/Killaloe, Roscrea, the Midland Bogs, Tullamore and Kilbeggan. The Slieve Bloom..

A chance to see some of Ireland not many tourists would focus on with a couple of long days to places they do.. As always if you have a fixed week I suggest one overnight away so giving chance to see something a little further away.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Birr Ireland for a week......help me decide...

Galway city would be a viable night away.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
927 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Birr Ireland for a week......help me decide...

We have not paid for the house yet. I guess looking at Birr it looked central not knowing the highways around. We may need a vacation after this vacation:)

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,700 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Birr Ireland for a week......help me decide...

If you are yet to set a plan then your points of interest, what you want to see and do would help us help you.. Many people aim for a 2 or 3 base trip.. but whilst I am a Road trip junky moving every night or two others like the idea of a week in a fixed location.. My only advice if you do want a fixed base is chose a base where you can get to see more than that place and a hub rather than the end of a spoke.

Maryland
Level Contributor
2,885 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Birr Ireland for a week......help me decide...

I depends on what you want to do. If you need to drive the Ring of Kerry, kiss the Blarney Stone, see the Book of Kells, visit the Cliffs of Mohr and Killarney, then Birr may be realistically too far for that.

I spent a week in Birr last May and had a wonderful visit. But that's just me; I preferred not following the tour busses and crowds around and I did plenty, was never bored. I enjoyed the places and activities that are listed above and more. I went horseback riding via Birr Equestrian Center into the Slieve Bloom Mts. I had several meals and an evening of traditional music at Kinnitty Castle 12 mins away. Clonmacnoise was superb. Had a great day at Portumna Castle, gardens and other ruins along the Shannon. You can do a boat ride from Athlone or hire one of your own. A spa day at the County Arms, Tour Tullamore wiskey and Birr Castle and garden, the giant telescope and educational center was another full day since I enjoy photography.

Birr has some great restaurants as well but I did cook some meals at my cottage and enjoyed a glass of wine by the turf fire. I visited many lovely villages where I was the only tourist. It's a trip I will never forget. For me it was perfect.

I do understand the reason the top tourist attractions are so popular but I prefer the countryside and less crowds. And I have done the top tourist spots but during the off-season. Your original post does not say what you want to see and do but whatever you decide you will definitely have a great trip.

Where in Birr are you staying ?

Cheers,

Sunny

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
927 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in Birr Ireland for a week......help me decide...

Thank you for your reply:). Are you from Maryland?

We are staying in a cottage in birr.......so excited. We are going the first week of August.

My ideal thought if Ireland is visiting quaint towns with nice pubs and good music. There are a couple touristy things we want to do...... But basically just drive and see what we see.

I was thinking about the train to Belfast out of Dublin. Contemplating running the rock n roll half in Dublin on August 4th. But that's not for sure since that takes a whole day.

Thank you agian

Sandi

Maryland
Level Contributor
2,885 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying in Birr Ireland for a week......help me decide...

Yes, I'm in MD. What cottage ? Just curious if it's the same one I stayed in. I was in The Bothy located within Birr Castle's Demense (garden). Having acres of garden all to myself after everyone else left in the evening was heaven.

Sunny

Edited: 14 May 2014, 00:10