We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking advice

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Des Moines
Level Contributor
506 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Seeking advice

We will visit Ireland for 8 days in March 2007 and I welcome advice on what we should do and see while there. We arrive and depart from Dublin and plan to spend a few days there around St. Patrick's Day, but also want to see some other areas. I have not found many ideas that appeal to me in the popular guidebooks.

Here are a few things to consider:

- We are not very interested in castles, theme parks or typical tourist attractions. In other words, we plan to skip the blarney stone.

- We will not be renting a car, as we do not want to worry about parking, driving on a different side of the road, rural road conditions, etc. So sites need to be easily "reachable" from Dublin via train or bus.

- We do like history, science, natural wonders, animals, food and museums. We like to learn about a variety of things.

A few things that look appealing are Newgrange, the Spanish Armada wreck sites and Trinity College. Can anyone who has visited these places venture an opinion about them?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,000 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking advice

If you like science, then you might consider a trip to Birr in Co. Offaly - there is a wonderful exhibition in Birr Demesne, as well as teh remains of what was once the world's largest telescope

www.birrcastle.com/

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking advice

Unfortunately most of the non-touristy stuff is not easily reached without a car.

Giant's Causeway in the north is spectacular if you like natural wonders but I've only driven there. There are probably bus tours out of Belfast to it. Newgrange I haven't been to in 20 years, it was interesting then but I understand they have built the Irish scourge 'Interpretive Centers' since then so there are probably exhibitions and things. Trinity is well worth a visit, see the Book of Kells and wander around the campus.

There's lots of historical sites but many of them are old castles and churches so may not be of much interest to you then.

While it is touristy the Guiness Brewery tour in Dublin is fun and everybody I've taken there has loved it.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,520 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking advice

wow, prairiedog, i don't think you will see an awful lot without transport of your own and you will spend valuable time just going from point a to point b....

you can rent a car cheaper than taking public transport and have the option of stopping if you see something that interests you.....

ummmm, this is a tough one taking your interests in mind and explains why you didn't find anything in the guidebooks.....since ireland has so many beautiful castles, ruins, etc., that is what most folks go to see....that and the people but if you are staying in dublin, you will be cheated out of that too as dublin is so very large and busy you will miss the best part of ireland, and that is leaving friends behind.......

take some time to reconsider staying in dublin, getting a rental car, and get out into the countryside and see the real ireland.....and as for the "rural road conditions", there is nothing wrong with ireland's rural roads, so i am not sure what you have heard about them but i am 60 years old and drive myself all over ireland and so far haven't found driving, parking, etc. difficult.....

whatever you decide to do i hope you have a great time.....

4. Re: Seeking advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 09:19