We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Open to suggestions on itinerary in Ireland

Oologah, Oklahoma
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Open to suggestions on itinerary in Ireland

Hello, I've been so impressed by the comments and advice...I just wish I had been checking here sooner. Our family is leaving for Ireland tomorrow!! We are set on the locations due to reservations, but open to activities...husband, wife, two daughters 19&22 years old. We decided to rent a car and drive ourself for flexibility.

Day 1: arrive in Dublin

Day 2: Waterford

Day 3: Cork

Day 4&5: Kilkenny

Day 6&7: Galway

Day 8-11 Dublin

Also, maybe a silly question regarding navigation...rent a GPS or use my phone? I'm terrified of the data charges...will I need it? I have maps/directions so how easy it it to get lost (because I am good at that!)

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,361 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Open to suggestions on itinerary in Ireland

Why don't you buy a pay as you go sim card here and use that in your phone? That said, I happened on a car load of tourists, at the side of the road all trying to find a GPS location so it's not fool proof.

I'd use the map and ask for directions as needed. Some of the best adventures I have had is happening on places whilst lost!

Oologah, Oklahoma
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Open to suggestions on itinerary in Ireland

Thank you! I'll look into this.

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Open to suggestions on itinerary in Ireland

Ditch the car rental when you return to Dublin. Public transport is cheaper and sometimes faster, plus, you wont have to worry about parking, driving in a city etc.

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Open to suggestions on itinerary in Ireland

Arrive Friday for 10 days. No GPS, no smartphone, just the OSI map to show the way. Sure to find interesting detours and helpful locals that way.

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Open to suggestions on itinerary in Ireland

I like your style Chris. Wing it !! You'll learn more about the country that way :-)

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Open to suggestions on itinerary in Ireland

Thanks, dokgolf. Well, it is an island. Chances of ending up in Scotland are remote.

Oologah, Oklahoma
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Open to suggestions on itinerary in Ireland

Thanks...got it...no car in Dublin.

Norwich, Connecticut
Level Contributor
199 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Open to suggestions on itinerary in Ireland

Are you completely skipping Killarney and Dingle areas? That was some very beautiful driving for us. I suggest you get the GPS, it was so so helpful for us. Do you know where you will be staying in Kilkenney? If not, check out the Lawcus Farm Guesthouse. We stayed there only one night and wish we had stayed more. But aside from Kilkenney Castle and the Rock of Cashel, which we did in one day, there isn't a whole lot to the Kilkenney area. Kinsale is a cute and colorful town in that area and if you like seafood then there is no better place to have some. There is also a coffee shop/bakery in Kinsale called Jo's that has the world's best hot chocolate, in so many flavors.

Oologah, Oklahoma
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Open to suggestions on itinerary in Ireland

Back from the trip, it was amazing! The suggestions were right on target! Thank goodness we skipped the car in Dublin. Did have the GPS but managed to get lost and found amazing sights. We ended up with 2 days in Killarney, and yes, it was the most beautiful. We also spent a fair amount of time in The Burren and loved every second of it. Thanks again, everyone!

10. Re: Open to suggestions on itinerary in Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2015, 07:17