We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dunquin Blasket Boat

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
771 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Dunquin Blasket Boat

Someone posted recently that the Dunquin-Blasket boat was no longer running. Not true. I was at the Dunquin pier area today taking pics (beautiful day) and a fellow came up checking the swells. Turns out he runs one of the Blasket boats. He said due to high swells, even though the sea was calm, he wouldn't be running today but he anticipates better conditions tomorrow.

I asked him about the condition of the pier due to winter storms and he said there was very little damage! The reason it had to be repaired was some damage to the walkway leading down to the pier. But he said pier damage was very minor and has been repaired.

So, if you want to take the boat from Dunquin, it is running daily based on sea conditions.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,269 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dunquin Blasket Boat

What a handy update, this will sure help people who are planning to go over to the Blasket Islands. :)

Annville...
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dunquin Blasket Boat

Thank you for the update. I posted a message about Blasket Island ferries from Dunquin because of the message on www.blasketislands.ie

I did not know if they were the only service that offered ferry trips from the pier or not.

Do you know if this is something that should be booked in advance? Also, if I should is there is a certain group or company I should try to contact? Thank you very much.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,658 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dunquin Blasket Boat

As far as I knew there was only one family running boats from Dunquin, the ones with the website John posted, and I have not seen them running this year, but Kilted met the chap yesterday, who said they were running.

John, you cannot book in advance anyway as they dont know til the morning if they are going or not, it is very dependent on the sea conditions. All you can do is ask when ask when you are in town.

I will try to find out more.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
771 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dunquin Blasket Boat

There are apparently two different boats running from Dunquin. Last year we went on a small boat--12 or 14 passengers I believe. The fellow I talked to yesterday runs a larger boat--I believe he said it was 30 or 40 capacity. He said the smaller boat is also running. For today he said he had a school group booked--going to the Blasket for their "Peig Sayer's experience"--so he said to show up early. Sorry I don't have a website or phone number for either boat. I haven't tried googling yet. Just glad to know they are still running,

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
771 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dunquin Blasket Boat

I just googled. The first one to pop up is the Blasket Island Ferry and Eco Adventure. They are not running from Dunquin as they moved to Ventry and run from there. He did tell me there used to be three boats from Dunquin until they moved. I do not believe there is a ferry from Dunquin that just goes out and circles the islands as the Eco tours do. I believe both boats now running just go to-from and drop you on the island---that is the way I wanted it. BTW today is not starting out so well weather wise, so I'm thinking a trip today may not go early if at all. Do google for the other sites. There are phone numbers and times of departure listed.

6. Re: Dunquin Blasket Boat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2015, 07:24