We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth packing shorts?

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Worth packing shorts?

Living in a part of the world where summer means daytime temperatures above 25 or 30 C, I do not think of wearing shorts and imagine they would be uncomfortable below about 22 C. I will be in Ireland 1-11 June. Is it very likely to get above 22 C during that period? What about 25 C, at which point shorts start to be needed for comfort?

Would it be pretty safe to assume that it won't be that warm and pack one less thing?

Thanks.

Edited: 19 May 2014, 15:58
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,459 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worth packing shorts?

Mark, you optimist you!! Summer here just means warmer rain :o)

If we get 25C, the country will shut down and the ologoners (the moaners) will start whinging about global warming and how we are all doomed. A national heat alert will be issued and there will be warnings about the sun indices on the telly.

At the moment, we are experiencing a shower of biblical proportions and I would suggest you pack water wings rather than shorts :o))

Although, having said that, it is State Exam Weather - a time when the sun usually shines while the cream of our youth are stuck in examination halls for hours on end.

From a personal selfish perspective I hope it is dull and dreary from the 4th - 11th as D2 is doing her Leaving Cert and I don't want ANY temptations put in her way (including kids playing outside!!).

If the worst comes to the worst, you will be able to go into Penneys Clothing store and buy a pair of shorts for not much more than it would cost you to include them in your luggage.

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worth packing shorts?

Let me put it this way, if you pack the shorts, you will NOT need them. If you don't pack the shorts, the SUN WILL SHINE . Murphy's Law. Then you can just pick up a pair anywhere for €5 and all will be well. Really.

Cheers,

Sunny

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worth packing shorts?

"Let me put it this way, if you pack the shorts, you will NOT need them. If you don't pack the shorts, the SUN WILL SHINE . Murphy's Law. Then you can just pick up a pair anywhere for €5 and all will be well. Really.

Cheers,

Sunny"

Lol. Thats so true.

Regarding the weather, you never know whats in store. Late June/early July last year, we had 3 weeks of temperatures being a minimum of 25c. One of the days, I went to Inis Oirr, and it hit 32c.

North Lanarkshire...
Level Contributor
603 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worth packing shorts?

You're all missing the obvious advantage of wearing shorts in June in Ireland. They do away with the need for a shower. You get that with the warm rain. Then when the rain stops the warm breeze (read that as wind) blows them dry in no time at all. Win win situation.

Scotland had its summer today, incidentally. Big yellow thing on sky, short drizzly shower, 19 degrees Celsius. Had sunglasses on coming home from work!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,459 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worth packing shorts?

<<Regarding the weather, you never know whats in store. Late June/early July last year, we had 3 weeks of temperatures being a minimum of 25c. One of the days, I went to Inis Oirr, and it hit 32c.>>

We were in France at the time, D1 was at home minding the house and the dog :o) When we rang home we were telling her about how hot it was and how the Irish and British were hanging around the frozen food department of the local supermarket for a bit of respite - she told us it was warmer in Ireland lol!!

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,242 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worth packing shorts?

Hmm, well at the moment (5pm) it is 12'c outside and drizzly, I was considering putting the heating on for an hour........

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
14,625 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worth packing shorts?

If, it's warm, head to a charity shop, reuse/recycle, (donate the shorts, back, when you are done w/them). None in your size? Find a pair of worn khaki slacks, cut them off above the knee.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,050 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Worth packing shorts?

in my past trips which totals 180 days, I have never had a need for shorts or sandals and I am a very warm natured old thing....in fact I can get colder, faster, in Ireland than i ever do at home...however, I can pick out the irish folks walking the streets and roads as they do put on shorts, and sandals, and wear a coat....mostly the young though....8-)

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,247 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Worth packing shorts?

Don't forget it's all relative compared to what you're used to. Have been in Portugal and found it very warm, but the locals were in jumpers and coats. Conversely, was visiting a chilly Austria one year and met a man from Iceland who was in short sleeves and enjoying the heat. If you see us wearing shorts, you'll most likely wonder what we're made from as you pull your nice, warm hat further down over your ears.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
167 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Worth packing shorts?

I agree with Oma....I have been to Ireland 6 times and have not needed shorts......pack light and pick up if needed.

Enjoy !!!