We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ireland travel Itenerary

Seattle, Washington
6 posts
Save Topic
Ireland travel Itenerary

Hello! I am coming to Ireland June 29th. I was wondering if you could give me some suggestions on this rough travel itinerary. Do you think I am trying to see too much? Or does this seem reasonable?

Day 1 cork

day 2 Killarney

day 3 Killarney/Ring of kery

day 4 Limerick

day 5 Limerick-drive to rock of cashel and back

day 6 Doolin/Cliffs of moher

day 7 Galway

Day 8 (NOT SURE-possibly somewhere to stay in midpoint between Galway and Giants Causeway-any suggestions would be great!)

Day 9 Giants Causeway

Day 10 Belfast

Day 11 Dublin

Day 12 Dublin

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ireland travel Itenerary

VERY busy, but it's NOT the worst First Draft that I've seen.

A LOT depends upon what you plan/expect to VISIT, as opposed to SEE.

Seattle, Washington
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ireland travel Itenerary

Plan to visit - Blarney Castle

Make stops along Ring of Kerry and spend some time in the national park (Torc Waterfall especially)

King Johns Castle and St marys cathedral

Would love to visit Rock of Cashel

Visit Cliffs of Moher

Ailwee cave

Spend some time in Galway city/area

Visit Giants causeway if possible

spend a day in belfast

spend two-three days in Dublin

Iowa
Level Contributor
215 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ireland travel Itenerary

Your itinerary feels very 'busy' to me.... you'll "see" a lot. but you won't really 'visit' much, if you know what I mean....

I would certainly choose the Rock of Cashel over Blarney castle any day...

Do you arrive in Cork & depart Dublin? Or do you plan to arrive in Dublin in the AM and drive to Cork? If you've flown in over night, you'll be tired and won't end up 'seeing' Cork at all....

Day 1 cork

day 2 Killarney

day 3 Killarney/Ring of kery

day 4 Limerick

day 5 Limerick-drive to rock of cashel and back

day 6 Doolin/Cliffs of moher

day 7 Galway - When you say Galway do you mean the town or the County? And do you plan to venture into Connemara?

Day 8 (NOT SURE-possibly somewhere to stay in midpoint between Galway and Giants Causeway-any suggestions would be great!) Enniskillen, County Fermanagh would be a good central point.

Day 9 Giants Causeway- don't overlook the coastal route.

Day 10 Belfast

Day 11 Dublin

Day 12 Dublin

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,196 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ireland travel Itenerary

With only 12 days, I would highly recommend that you draw a line roughly between Galway and Dublin and stay EITHER north or south of that line. With what you have proposed, you are zipping through some of the most beautiful (to me to date) parts of the country (county Donegal, the Connemara area, Causeway Coastal Route, etc.).

There is more than enough to keep you busy for your entire trip without heading to the north or in the north without heading to the south! In just over 30 nights on two trips, DH and I have not even stepped foot south of a line drawn roughly between Ennis and Dublin. We felt we missed so much on our last trip to the northern counties that we will be spending another 16 nights in the same general areas on our trip next year. With a trip to Ireland, less is certainly more (except for money) and driving in Ireland is NOTHING like driving in the US!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
8 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ireland travel Itenerary

I would look into coming in one place and leaving out a different, for example fly into Dublin and out Shannon, it will cost a bit more when you rent a car, but it will be worth it.

I would add another day in Killarney and do the Dingle Peninsula or even stay out in Dingle rather than time in Limerick. I have found that the drive time takes about twice the time as what Google Maps says, partially because it is terrifying to drive the speed limit on some of the narrow roads and also because you will want to stop and look.

My biggest advice is pick maybe 4 places and stay two nights at each. All of the driving from one place to another, unpacking and repacking takes away from each town's local charm.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
8,903 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ireland travel Itenerary

Kate, they've been and gone by now, hopefully OP will come back and tell us how it went.

7. Re: Ireland travel Itenerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 11:17