We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Final (I think) Itinerary

Puget Sound...
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
205 reviews
Save Topic
Final (I think) Itinerary

With the help of many folks on this forum, I've patched together the following itinerary for our two week trip beginning September 30th. I've made all the B&B reservations, too; all of them very highly rated on TripAdvisor. Does anyone see any issues with this?

Ireland 2014

Day 0 – flight from Seattle

Day 1 – arrive Dublin, airport bus to hotel in Ballsbridge.

Day 2 – Dublin

Day 3 – rent car, Dublin to Avoca via Glendalough. 1.5 hr travel time.

Day 4 – Avoca – Kilkenny 1.5 hr. Sightsee Kilkenny

Day 5 – Kilkenny (ROC/Cahir round trip 2 hr)

Day 6 – Kilkenny - Kinsale (2 hr.) Sightsee Kinsale

Day 7 - Kinsale - Killarney (coastal route) 3 hr

Day 8 – Killarney – Gap of Dunloe, Muckross?

Day 9 – Killarney - Dingle 1 hour

Day 10 – Dingle Peninsula

Day 11 – Dingle – Kinvara via Shannon Ferry 3 hr. Cliffs of Moher en route

Day 12 – Kinvara – Connemara Loop – Salthill (Galway)

Day 13 – Salthill – Aran Island Ferry to Inishmor

Day 14 – Galway – Bunratty – 1 hr. Folk Park, Medieval Banquet

Day 15 – fly home from Shannon

Thanks for any assistance! I've tried to do 2 day stays wherever possible, and minimal driving on travel days.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,711 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Final (I think) Itinerary

Ok, first thing, your driving time estimates are too short and take no account of the places you'll pass and want to stop at.Likewise, you have not taken into account that Irish roads are not for speeding about, unless you plan to stay on motorways (which you can't do to see many of these places.)

Why Avoca? Ballykissangel? Personally, I wouldn't choose it to overnight in.Likewise, doubling back to Kilkenny after the ROC and Cahir castle means needless back-tracking. Day 12 is going to be a killer.

You don't need to take the Shannon ferry, the tunnel is as quick . Three hours from Dingle to Kinvarra is wildly optimistic.

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Final (I think) Itinerary

Agreed re: Day 12. There is a MINIMUM of 5 hours driving in that ( add stops as extra)

Puget Sound...
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Final (I think) Itinerary

Looks like I didn't explain myself properly. The time shown on each of these entries was obtained from AA and Google online maps, and are only meant to show the actual time we will spend in a moving car. I don't expect to get from Dingle to Kinvara in 3 hours, only to leave Dingle after breakfast and arrive in Kinvara before dinnertime, with perhaps a picnic or pub lunch en route.

These same maps show the actual driving time for the Connemara route I plan to take at 3 and 1/2 hours...again, I expect to spend all day actually doing it.

You're right, Harvey, the Avoca stop is because of BallyK, plus it seemed a reasonable first day of driving on the left.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,711 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Final (I think) Itinerary

I'd continue on to somewhere like Aughrim to overnight, there really is very little to Avoca. We usually recommend to use aaroadwatch and add about 25% on to the time given on the route planner, if you have not driven in Ireland before.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,072 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Final (I think) Itinerary

what you need to consider when using most mapping assistance is that the kilometer/miles are pretty accurate but you'll need to add 20-25% more for actual driving time and those times will be driving only....for instance kilkenny/roc/cahir/kilkenny is closer to 3 hours than 2 of just driving, dublin/avoca/glendalough, closer to 2-1/4 hours than 1-1/2, killarney/dingle closer to 1-1/2 than 1 hour, etc.

that is in perfect driving conditions, like no sheep in the road, farm equipment you can't get around, traffic, road works, slowing down as you enter villages, and the dreaded getting misplaced ( I never say lost).....

Puget Sound...
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Final (I think) Itinerary

Thanks for the useful info; I will generously overestimate the driving time we will need each day. Still, even if 3 hours on the map actually works out to 5, I think we should have enough time to do all of our drives between breakfast time and dinner time.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,072 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Final (I think) Itinerary

okey dokey....have a wonderful time....

8. Re: Final (I think) Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2015, 07:16