We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fairy - where can we find?

TLV
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Fairy - where can we find?

Hi,

We arrive to Ireland for a vacation

My daughter loves fairies - where can we find

Sites?

Thanks

Srulik

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,852 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fairy - where can we find?

Srulik, the places associated in Ireland are the so-called fairy forts. These are places where the "good" or "little people" live, i.e. the fairies. Fairy forts are often marked by a circle of blackthorn or hawthorn trees. They are quite often located on archaeological sites (dolmens, stone circles etc.), that's why they are so important in folklore. There are countless stories about fairies in Irish folklore, not all of them are good!

I don't know how old your daughter is and I don't know whether you're going to tour around Ireland (your previous posts don't give a lot away) but if you should drive around and see a field with a tree or hawthorn circle you could tell her that this a fairy site.

Fairies also seem to be the flavour of the year in shops, you can get fairies in any kind of shape or colour.

TLV
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fairy - where can we find?

Thank u clouds.

My daughter is 10

We heard there r location / parks that have small statues and some activities.

Does u know where can we find?

Srulik (:

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fairy - where can we find?

Maybe you should prepare your little girl. Irish fairies are not the cute loveable little creatures from the nursery tales, but have a quite a nasty side to them!

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
267 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fairy - where can we find?

I have never heard of parks/statues to fairies. There is a blackthorn tree on the southbound lane of the motorway before Newmarket on Fergus that was reputed in folklore to have been the meeting point between the Munster fairies and the Connaught fairies. It will be hard to find it if you dont know exactly which one it is. The route of the road was adjusted so that this tree would not be cut down. It is supposed to be vert bad luck to interfere with anything like this. There is not much to see here though just a tree. To find out where fairy rings are you would need to ask locals.

There is a Leprechaun in Dingle though. I forget his name though. He is a really small man and always dressed like a Leprechaun. If you asked in any pub they will know him.

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
267 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fairy - where can we find?

Sorry the town I meant to say was Castlegregory not Dingle. Its on the opposite side of the peninsula to Dingle in Kerry

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,852 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fairy - where can we find?

I am sorry, srulik, I don't know of any parks with fairy statues in them or activities to do with fairies.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,852 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fairy - where can we find?

irishrover's comment just made realise this: your daughter is probably looking for the little fairies of the winged kind. Sorry, Irish fairies are something different altogether. I hope, your daughter won't be too disappointed. But, as I said, I've seen lots of fairies on cards, as necklaces, as good luck token etc. in the shops.

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Fairy - where can we find?

Oh to be a fly on the wall in that pub. That darn tree prevented the bypass from being built for ages. Any year now...

TLV
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fairy - where can we find?

Thank u all.

Really, it's so warming to see your efforts .

Since we arr. tomorrow, I wont be able to read more. We'll probably end by buying some good luck charms and other fairy things.

Tank's again

Srulik

10. Re: Fairy - where can we find?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 16:17