We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must see for 10 year old GD in SW Ireland

Ocean Shores...
Level Contributor
298 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Must see for 10 year old GD in SW Ireland

I have asked this question on another forum but seeking answers here as well.

We are taking our 10 year old GD the first 2 weeks of Oct. We will start/finish in Shannon and be in a triangular area from Clifden on the North traveling southeast to Cobh, west to Glegarriff and back north to SNN.

Already on our short list: Blarney, Bunratty, Ross, and Carriganass castle, Fota Wild Life Park, Charles Fort, toy soldier factory, Gougane Beara, Garnish Island, ring of Beara and Dursey Cable car, Killarney National Park & Pony Trap Ride, 5k walk at Cliffs of Moher, Ailwee Cave and Birds of Prey, Bunratty folk park and Med. Banquet

Any other suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks

Rvflyer

Ocean Shores...
Level Contributor
298 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must see for 10 year old GD in SW Ireland

Think I may have posted the above request earlier, but can't seem to get my mobile device to let me start a new topic!

So I will ask here: I am trying to find the opening hours at Dan Murphy's pub in Sneem on the ROK Thanks

Rvflyer

Edited: 26 May 2014, 04:57
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,712 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must see for 10 year old GD in SW Ireland

Couple of weather dependant items there.. I would add the Donkey Sanctuary? http://www.thedonkeysanctuary.ie/ and see if there is a local event somewhere on your travels..

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
2,774 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must see for 10 year old GD in SW Ireland

There are a few open farms that a 10 year old might find interesting.

Leahy's Open Farm (about 20 mins from Cobh or Cork City) and Rumley's Open Farm (close to the route from either Cork City or Kinsale to Beara) are a couple I know of, but you'll find plenty of other examples.

There are also a few opportunities for whale and dolphin watching. The most famous is in Dingle to see the harbour dolphin there, but there are possibilities for organized whale-watching tours from Baltimore. It's also not unknown to see whales from the Dursey Cable Car or dolphins from the Shannon ferry, so keep your eyes open. Also, look for seals while going to Garnish Island.

For more scientifically-minded kids, the Lifetime Lab or Blackrock Castle Planetarium in Cork City may be options.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,190 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Must see for 10 year old GD in SW Ireland

In the greater Shannon area, there's Foynes Flying Boat Museum, if your GD has any interest in planes (and, the bonus of an Irish Coffee for the adults):

http://www.flyingboatmuseum.com

And, another option for Dolphin Watching:

http://www.dolphinwatch.ie

Antarctica
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,281 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must see for 10 year old GD in SW Ireland

Murphy's Ice Cream Shop in Killarney and the Killarney Book Shop a couple of doors down.

The Wacky Hat Shop on Patrick Street in Cork (if you are passing) They do fabulous animal hats. My girls (now in their late teens and early 20s) have them. Really fun.

Also the Burren Perfumery not too far from the Cliffs of Moher www.burrenperfumery.com It has lots of lovely soaps and scents. You will love it too.

I'm not sure if the medieval banquet would be that much fun for a 10 year old, particularly at that time of the year when its likely to be mainly adults. But I could be wrong. But the folk park itself is lovely. Make sure she gets to meet and have a head rub with Fionn and Gráinne, the two totally gorgeous Irish Wolfhounds.

6. Re: Must see for 10 year old GD in SW Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2015, 06:15