We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To drive or not to drive!? July 2014

Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
To drive or not to drive!? July 2014

My boyfriend and I are thinking of an 8/9 day trip this July 2014. Arriving and departing Dublin. Want to see beauty and character of Ireland - not city life so much. Will not include northern Ireland this trip. Thinking of self-drive but I do not like to be in the car for longer than 3 hours at a time - should we use trains instead? Suggestions please and thank you!

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To drive or not to drive!? July 2014

Depends on how competent a driver you feel you are. If you feel comfortable at home, you'll be fine here. The driving requires a higher level of concentration than you might be used to, but don't buy into the hype about how tough it is. Having a car opens up the country to you.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
28,878 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: To drive or not to drive!? July 2014

Don't limit your options.

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,992 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To drive or not to drive!? July 2014

Drive

Cork
Level Contributor
149 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To drive or not to drive!? July 2014

Drive - You will be very limited without a car.

Try arrange to pick up the car when you leave Dublin, you will be better off without a car in Dublin

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,854 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To drive or not to drive!? July 2014

"My boyfriend and I " without wishing to be rude this statement might be taken that you are younger in age.. Be aware that renting a car under 25 (and over 70 for that matter) can be extortionate due to insurance costs.. That said If you are happy to drive at home then Ireland should hold no fears other than fear itself and you will get more opportunity "to see beauty and character of Ireland " off the beaten track.. If however driving is a non starter then many visitors manage extremely well using public transport (bus more flexible than train) and local tours from the key centres, Dublin, Galway, Killarney, Cork, Limerick.

Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: To drive or not to drive!? July 2014

Drive once you leave Dublin. There are not many drives you will be doing if you plan your itinerary in an organised way, that will require 3 hours in the car non stop.

Pick the areas you want to see, and try and do these in a circular trip. This will eliminate the amount of time spent in the car between each stop. You only have 9 days, and whilst I would never discourage anyone from going "Where the wind takes them", it sounds like you'd be better off planning your itinerary this way.

This article may give you some ideas, when planning your trip: mydiscoverireland.com/blog/…

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need any other information about Car Rental or itinerary planning!

Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: To drive or not to drive!? July 2014

Thank you all !

8. Re: To drive or not to drive!? July 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2015, 06:15