We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heading to Ireland End of October..Looking for Tips!

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Topic
Heading to Ireland End of October..Looking for Tips!

Hello!

Planning on heading to Ireland at the end of October with a few friends. We are flying in to Dublin (cheapest airport for us) and looking for the best places to hit in mid/end of October. We are wanting to spend most of our days in nature hiking, boating and exploring Ireland's natural beauty and spend our evenings in small local pubs hearing good Irish music.

Our travel plan as of now is:

Arrive in Dublin and spend first day and night in Dublin

Head to Galway and spend next 4 days exploring Galway area including Aran Island

Last day head back to Dublin until we need to head to airport.

We are thinking that hiring a car will be the best idea in terms of getting around. But- we want to make sure that we are not spending our days driving for hours since we have such a short visit to begin with.

So- my question is, where should we go each day when we are in Galway and the surrounding area? What should we see and do? Remember- we will be there in the end of October so I am sure that we have to take that in to account when planning since the weather could be very cold and rainy. (and maybe even snowy?!)

Also- we randomly chose Galway as the 2nd spot to base ourselves but we could also base ourselves in the Killarney area. Which location is better?

Thank so much for any tips and suggestions!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,947 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heading to Ireland End of October..Looking for Tips!

At the end of October days will be shorter and seas could be rough, so don't bank on getting to the Aran Islands.

When you say "boating" do you mean on the open sea or on barges/pleasure craft down some of the navigable rivers?

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Heading to Ireland End of October..Looking for Tips!

Good point. So if the sea is rough then you can't get to and from Aran Islands at all? Is that common for the month of October and beyond for the Islands to basically be closed?

As for boating, I had heard that there were certain boat rides that can take you straight up to certain sights which is just a different kind of way of seeing the country.

Thanks for any input!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,947 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heading to Ireland End of October..Looking for Tips!

The end of October can, the islands don't "close" but the sailings may be curtailed and the trip unpleasant.

I presume you mean the Cliffs of Moher for the sight-seeing tour?Not a trip I'd take in a boat in anything but the calmest of seas.

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Heading to Ireland End of October..Looking for Tips!

Okay. Thanks for the advice. So I can assume any boat rides will probably be out.

So the question still remains. Should we base ourselves in the Galway area or Killarney area? And, depending on which location, what should we do in those two areas for 4 days? Nature by day and Pubs by night :)

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heading to Ireland End of October..Looking for Tips!

If you end up in the Galway area, consider the Burren. We spent the better part of three days there recently and could easily have spent more. Its stark, simple beauty unfolds itself slowly.

North Lanarkshire...
Level Contributor
607 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heading to Ireland End of October..Looking for Tips!

I'm glad you're aware that the weather may very well be cold and rainy in October - and the days are short.

I was in Israel in October 2013 and in fact spent a night in Haifa, where I see you live. I can tell you that the climate is very different indeed. :-)

I hope you have a great trip.

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Heading to Ireland End of October..Looking for Tips!

Thank you Chris for the tip about the Burren. I have been reading a bit about it and it looks amazing. Any other suggestions close to Galway or Killarney?

Anne- we know that the weather is very different then Israeli weather which is why is sounds kind of exciting. We were choosing between going to Spain, Italy or Ireland and we decided that we wanted something really different then what we have here. About how cold does it get in Oct. in Ireland? How prepared do we need to be? Winter jackets etc.? How much can we be outdoors realisticly? And- at the end of Oct., what time does is usually get dark?

Thanks!

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,568 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heading to Ireland End of October..Looking for Tips!

So long as it is before clock change (26th Oct.) it will get dark between 6 and 7pm. You can be outside all day if dressed properly. I dont consider October cold at all but I dont live in Israel!! It could be wet, it might not. A waterproof top layer is essential.

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Heading to Ireland End of October..Looking for Tips!

We plan to head back on October 26th! (Is that the exact day when the clocks will change in Ireland?) Yes- it will probably feel freezing to us but after a long hot summer it will probably be very refreshing!

Thanks!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,947 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heading to Ireland End of October..Looking for Tips!

"after a long hot summer it will probably be very refreshing!" Furiously trying to work out a way where we could all house swop (!!!)

Killarney is a good base for that time of year, it will be a lot quieter than during the summer so you get all the benefits of a busy town, pubs, good food, + the National Park on your doorstep, easy access to the Ring of Kerry/Gap of Dunloe/Dingle and so on.