We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back Roads Touring or Driftwood Tours

Powell, Wyoming...
Level Contributor
149 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Back Roads Touring or Driftwood Tours

backroadstouring.com/tour-brsirl/the-emerald…

vagabondtoursofireland.ie/tours/…

Is one itinerary better than the other? The Back Roads tour is more expensive but more is included in the price such as some evening meals and entry fees. I would love to see beautiful and historical places. Moderate activity is ok and I prefer to not spend a lot of time on a bus. I am not interested in seeing sheep shearing demonstrations or shopping and factories. My husband loves history and beer. I have travel books but can not decide which is better. Thank you for suggestions.

FL
Level Contributor
155 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back Roads Touring or Driftwood Tours

WE did a backroads bike tour in CA wine country and LOVED it. Guides were amazing, food was fantastic, lodging was 5 star and it was all planned. Can't comment on the itinerary but we are planning on doing a family backroads trip next year to Iceland.

We are doing Ireland on our own this year with kids.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,064 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back Roads Touring or Driftwood Tours

sorry but backwood tours didn't work...

Powell, Wyoming...
Level Contributor
149 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back Roads Touring or Driftwood Tours

vagabondtoursofireland.ie/tours/…

Powell, Wyoming...
Level Contributor
149 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Back Roads Touring or Driftwood Tours

backroadstouring.com/tour-brsirl/the-emerald…

I am leaning towards Back Roads because they go to Powerscout Estate and Doagh as well as the Hill of Tara.It has 3-2 night stays. It is more expensive but it does include 5 evening meals.

Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back Roads Touring or Driftwood Tours

Meals can be expensive when touring Ireland and 5 meals would be a significant cost out of pocket. Backroads has an unusual itinerary..omitting Dublin. Free time in Kilkenny, Dingle and Galway are great, but Blarney won't take up too much free time. 2 nights stays will be much less stressful and allow you to explore the local scene..ie pubs. Because it includes Dingle and Belfast (2 of my favorites) it will give you a feel for 2 totally different areas of the island. Have a great trip and share your memories with us when you return.

Edited: 30 July 2014, 22:54
Powell, Wyoming...
Level Contributor
149 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Back Roads Touring or Driftwood Tours

Back Roads does not go the entire Ring of Kerry or Muckross House or Aran Islands. Is that going to be a regret?

But Back Roads does go to Newgrange, Isle of Doah, and Powerscout. I have been looking at itineraries for six months and I am as confused as ever. Can someone look over the two links and give me an opinion of the two itineraries?

Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Back Roads Touring or Driftwood Tours

As you will be traveling to Dingle, you will see impressive scenery, so a truncated trip around ROK will be fine.. Powerscourt is impressive and more elaborate than Muckross(IMO); :have not been to Isle of Doah.

It is indeed, overwhelming to decide what to see, you cannot see it all, so don''t despair. Either itinerary will be memorable.

Powell, Wyoming...
Level Contributor
149 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Back Roads Touring or Driftwood Tours

I checked prices and it is deceiving when Back-Roads quotes $3925.00. That is on the off season. To go in May or June is $4135.00 pp. Yikes! I will have to arrange a day trip to Powerscout from Dublin. Driftwood is $2582.00, so even with an extra day or two in Dublin and the price of a day trip we come out ahead. I hope I can manage to figure this all out.

9. Re: Back Roads Touring or Driftwood Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2015, 05:15