We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kilkenny Castle- Comhaltas at the Castle- Good?

FL
Level Contributor
155 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Kilkenny Castle- Comhaltas at the Castle- Good?

We were thinking of going to the Kilkeenny Castle for the above Irish music, song and dance during the summer on a Wednesday night, is it worth it? My girls would love to see traditional Irish dancing.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,500 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kilkenny Castle- Comhaltas at the Castle- Good?

I went a couple of years ago and yes for me.. If Trad on the Prom is on your radar this is better option?

Edited: 04 June 2014, 07:58
Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
4,031 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kilkenny Castle- Comhaltas at the Castle- Good?

Comhaltas is music song and dance by people who love and respect the music song and dance for people who enjoy music song and dance. Well worth it any time you see a session.

FL
Level Contributor
155 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kilkenny Castle- Comhaltas at the Castle- Good?

Wasn't sure about Trad on the Prom. We are staying in Clifden 2 nights. Which do you like better?

Also was going to Sea Kayak in Clifden, would you recommend the day or sunset trip?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,941 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kilkenny Castle- Comhaltas at the Castle- Good?

Comhaltas have done a lot to preserve music/dance and song, but would be somewhat rigid ,i.e. everyone plays the same note, no variation or ornamentation, so not too impromptu, but a good standard of show,if shows are your thing.

FL
Level Contributor
155 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kilkenny Castle- Comhaltas at the Castle- Good?

Actually shows are not necessarily our thing. But my daughters would love to see traditional Irish dancing and my husband and I would like to hear music. WE are completely open to any suggestions.

We will be in Kilkenny 2 nights, Kenmare 2 nights, Clifden 2 nights and Dublin 2 nights.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,941 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kilkenny Castle- Comhaltas at the Castle- Good?

Many sessions just "happen" and often not in pubs tourists visit, so this may be your best bet for definitely getting to hear Irish music.

FL
Level Contributor
155 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kilkenny Castle- Comhaltas at the Castle- Good?

Please tell me which pubs. I'd rather be with bunch or Irish folks and have a "non-Disney" experience.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,941 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kilkenny Castle- Comhaltas at the Castle- Good?

In fairness , Comhaltas isn't Disney-fed, just a bit rigid. Disney's ancestors actually came from up the road in Co. Carlow.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Kilkenny Castle- Comhaltas at the Castle- Good?

If you are in Dublin on a Mon or Wed night try Osheas pub on Merchants Quay for trad music and set dancing

it's not a tourist thing but you will get a warm welcome and the music starts at 10 pm and goes on past midnight .

10. Re: Kilkenny Castle- Comhaltas at the Castle- Good?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2015, 06:15