We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Souvenir From Ireland

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Best Souvenir From Ireland

So I haven't seen this topic before, but what was the best or most useful souvenir you bought in Ireland? How much did you spend on your souvenirs? What kind of souvenir would you recommend for future travelers?

Everyone has heard of the famous Irish sweaters and similar popular choices, but do you think they are worth it?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
8,099 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Souvenir From Ireland

Hi meganNowell

Lots of ideas for you here

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k660941…

Personally, I like to bring home a Christmas decoration to remind me of my holidays each Christmas.

Edited: 10 June 2014, 09:11
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,027 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Souvenir From Ireland

I bring home fridge magnets which have expanded to become radiator magnets :o)

Magnets pack into the smallest of spaces and every time I got to the fridge and the freezer and the radiator in the kitchen and the radiator in my (minuscule) study, I am reminded of places I have been and I feel happy thinking about them.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,817 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Souvenir From Ireland

oh gosh there are so many wonderful souvenirs you can buy...I too buy magnets and my fridge is almost full now but as bean says it always brings back memories and a smile...this year I made it my mission to do my Christmas shopping...mission accomplished....got all of my kids, grandkids, and great grandkids an "Ireland" gift....

you can spend from a few euros to several hundred as I did at the aran sweater market on inishmore.......

several places will ship them for you free if you spend a certain amount, or some will ship for a small amount....the shipping is a lot cheaper than paying for an extra bag when returning home....

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,757 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Souvenir From Ireland

Try the "Guinness Store" for souvenirs

Edited: 10 June 2014, 15:31
North Lanarkshire...
Level Contributor
615 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Souvenir From Ireland

I tend to buy little fridge magnets when I travel too, but occasionally splurge...like when I bought a cuckoo clock in the Black Forest or the olive wood nativity set I got in Bethlehem. I also bought Welsh slate coasters in Wales. That type of thing.

What about something in Connemara marble?

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Souvenir From Ireland

We found a Celtic Cross made from compressed peat, then polished. About 10 inches high, resembles carved wood, really very attractive. Never know it was peat unless you look at the back. St. Brigid's Cross is a less expensive option.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,027 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Souvenir From Ireland

Anne, I bought a teeny teeny cuckoo clock fridge magnet in Switzerland last year and I could have probably bought a full sized one for the same price in Bavaria :o))

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,910 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Souvenir From Ireland

My memories :)

Or failing that my Ireland shopping bag which I got 4 years ago and still use. Or fridge magnets/keyrings or pens. I like pens...and fridgemagnets ;)

Or even my bracelet I got from Tullomore from a quirky shop, not special but reminds me of there. And getting told off for taking a photo...not of the shop though, a stand! Ooops..

Or my Dunnes store shopping bag for groceries..I remember getting that.

I think i'm just sad! lol

North Lanarkshire...
Level Contributor
615 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Souvenir From Ireland

I bet Bean!!

I have to admit the sound on the cuckoo clock has been turned off as my adult offspring who still live at home were ....hmmm...finding it very challenging.

One of my great joys in life is winding them up :-))

San Francisco
Level Contributor
71 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Souvenir From Ireland

I wish I would have bought some Irish Tears whiskey, since you cant buy it in the states.

Did bring home sweets for my family which are very unique as hard candy goes.

I think the memories I have and the photos' are my personal favorite souvenirs too