We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Supermarkets - any differences?

VA
Level Contributor
95 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Supermarkets - any differences?

We are coming from the US and will be in an area that has a few grocery options. Aside from the local Spar, there is a Lidl and two Supervalus. Is there much difference between Lidl and Supervalu? Ideally, we would like organic produce and food items grown/produced in Ireland. Is one a significantly better option for us than the other?

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dublin
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Supermarkets - any differences?

SuperValu is an Irish full-price chain, selling mostly brand-name products and some own-brand, while Lidl is a large German discount chain, selling mostly own-brand.

Both sell Irish and international produce, including organic products.

The big difference is the shopping experience - Lidl is no-frills with less choices - and, of course, the bill: Lidl is way cheaper.

Mentioned in this post
Extreme Ireland
Extreme Ireland
5,280 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Supermarkets - any differences?

Supervalu also has a good stock of pre-made meals.Many of them made in the store. Their bakeries are also very good.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
14,108 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Supermarkets - any differences?

I prefer Lidl , because they are significantly cheaper they have a high turnover and therefore fresher food, also I have never been overcharged or sold out of date food as I have in Supavalue.

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,992 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Supermarkets - any differences?

You beat me to it Fuchsia

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
19,135 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Supermarkets - any differences?

Perhaps the areas you will be visiting, have farmers/town market days, check it out. As fuchsia points out, I use Lidi/Aldi, for the same two reasons, fresh turn-over & cost. Hope this helps.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Supermarkets - any differences?

This morning, for breakfast, I had the most delicious Irish strawberries I have tasted (not organic, though).

They were from Lidl.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,085 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Supermarkets - any differences?

I prefer Lidl to Aldi. I was in both this morning and I find the Lidl shops more organised and much cleaner looking than the Aldi shops.

But they are both good. The bakeries in the Lidl shops are particularly good. Their chocolate chip cookies are incredibly nice (unfortunately for my waistline)

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
14,108 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Supermarkets - any differences?

In the UK Lidl were thought of as downmarket and cheap, you kept quiet if you had to shop there, but the Irish Lidls seem to be a lot better, and as for organic, I wouldnt touch it, we used to have a big orchard behind our house, they sold beautiful apples every September, then they went 'organic', the crop went downhill fast, all the apples had scab and were barely fit to eat.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,635 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Supermarkets - any differences?

Only here we have only just started getting bakeries in our Lidls. Last time I was over in Ireland, Trim as it happens, we used both Lidls (or was it Aldi) and Supervalu depending on what we needed.

Nothing wrong with shopping in Lidl, I know a couple of brandsnobs and I often wonder how they would cope in France or somewhere without the main brands?

The first Irish supermarket (and clothes store) I used in Ireland in Dungarvan was Dunnes...I remember wandering around half sleep (bear in mind I had been up over 27 hours) around it. I think I remember getting cream slices lol Seemingly half a sleep me wants sweet treats.

Anyway.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Trim
Trim
County Meath, Ireland
France
France
Europe
Dungarvan
Dungarvan
County Waterford, Ireland
Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
3,871 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Supermarkets - any differences?

We have Lidl here in Spain and also it's one of our choices in Ireland. I like their no nonsense approach and although they work the staff hard they are rewarded with quite a good salary.

Supervalu have branded names and over the past few years I've tried to veer away from such products and try no named brands and have been quite happy with the results - taste and pocket wise.

I like the W5 cleaning equipment, does an excellent job.

Ohhhh chocolate chip cookies bean - I fancy one of them, but had food poisoning today :-(

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Ireland
Ireland
Europe