We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need castle recommendations, please help!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Need castle recommendations, please help!

I am traveling with my husband to Ireland for 10 days in early October. My hubbie is of Irish descent but this will be his first visit to Ireland. We are flying into Dublin, spending a few days, and then driving to Cork to research his family.

We are looking to stay in a castle for 1-2 nights, in either the Dublin, Kilkenny or Cork areas. After much online research and tripadvisor searching, I still have been unable to find what I am looking for. I am desperate for recommendations. I would like a true Irish castle, not a hotel built to look like a castle. I am looking for the "castle experience", nice grounds for strolling, possibly a village nearby, family owned or operated, excellent sleeping rooms, nooks and crannies, and high quality dining.

I want to avoid the ones overrun by tourists embarking from tour buses. So far, castles recommended in books and thru tour companies are the ones not highly rated on tripadvisor!

Any ideas? Thank you, a traveler from Chicago.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,608 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need castle recommendations, please help!

What you are looking for is not on your list of places.

Glin Castle is what you are looking for: www.glincastle.com/

It might be worth a detour.

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
267 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need castle recommendations, please help!

How about waferford castle. Its about an hour to 1.5 hours drive from Cork. www.waterfordcastle.com. The bigger castle hotels are Dromoland in Co. Clare and Ashford Castle about 45mins outside Galway. In dublin try Clontarf castle. www.clontarfcastle.ie

3. Re: Need castle recommendations, please help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2006, 11:04
Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,419 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need castle recommendations, please help!

Since you're looking at the Dublin, Kilkenny or Cork areas how about Kilkea Castle in Co. Kildare? Have a look at www.kilkeacastle.ie/. It is in the perfect location to break the journey between Dublin and Cork and you could do some lovely day trips from there into Kilkenny, the Wicklow mountains, Carlow town...

Now, I have never stayed there myself but it is a firm favourite with honeymooners...

5. Re: Need castle recommendations, please help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 06:24