We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camper van or a car..? (9 days)

Tel Aviv, Israel
2 posts
Save Topic
Camper van or a car..? (9 days)

Hey :)

We'll be in Ireland for 2 weeks (28/8-9/9), for the first time. We're not sure which is the best way to travel around (we don't have a specific plan).

We never traveled in a camper van before - and it seems like a cool adventure, but maybe not for Ireland? (as we read in some of the previous posts...)

We plan to visit Dublin and the electric picnic festival, which leaves us ~9 days to travel around.

We're not spoiled and also not cheap - we just want the vehicle to be a nice part from our trip and not a burden.

So, what do you say?

Thanks!

Adi and Erez

Best Seller
Northern Ireland Highlights Day Trip...
674 reviews
from US$80.80*
Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher Tour and Galway from...
542 reviews
from US$56.00*
Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher Day Trip from Dublin
1,204 reviews
from US$62.20*
Best Seller
Blarney Castle and Cork Day Trip from...
1,056 reviews
from US$68.40*
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,612 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camper van or a car..? (9 days)

I vote for Camper van - definitely ! Especially if you are going to Electric Picnic

www.lazydays.ie

You'll need to book one soon though.

Edited: 15 June 2014, 20:13
Tel Aviv, Israel
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Camper van or a car..? (9 days)

Thanks for your quick response! :)

We've contacted LazyDays, as you recommended, waiting to their reply.

We also received quotes from "Wicked" and "Detour" - are you familiar with those two companies? (Wicked prices are surprisingly low...)

Would you mind elaborating a bit more regarding your vote (like pros and cons...) - that would be really helpful!

Thanks again :)

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,612 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camper van or a car..? (9 days)

I'm sorry, I am not familiar with any of those Camper rental companies. However, I know and trust very much the Dad of the owner of Lazy days and he told me that they are very very very committed to their business.

I asked him what would they do if they got a phone call to say that one of the vans had broken down and he replied "Well, they'd just jump in the car and go and fix the problem" That sounds like great commitment to me !!! (However if you do rent one, I hope that it all goes very well for you). I would love to do such a trip but alas, my dear wife would not accompany me.

Enjoy whatever you do.

By the way, have you factored in the cost of paying for overnighting in official private camp sites? www.camping-ireland.com

You don't have to use them, however, they do provide toilet, shower and wash up facilities. Wild camping with your camper is doable but not recommended everywhere.

4. Re: Camper van or a car..? (9 days)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2015, 06:17