We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skellig puffin trip

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
72 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Skellig puffin trip

Weather permitting my husband and I and 4&7 year olds would love to take a trip out to the Skelligs to attempt some animal sightings. Puffins are tops on our list but I'm certain they'd be just as happy with dolphins, etc assuming it is the season for any of them :). Could anyone advise which companies are most reliable to charter transport from and how much will it run us? Many thanks

Dickinson, North...
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Skellig puffin trip

If you scroll down a little I made a post thats labeled Skellig Michael..the info you are looking for is on there.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,543 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skellig puffin trip

I would be very slow to bring a 4 year old onto Skellig. Obviously I don't know the capabilities of the child in question and maybe s/he is very athletic for his/her age, but I would prefer my youngest to be 7 on that trip rather than 4. Disembarking/Embarking the boats at the small pier at Skellig can be daunting enough for some.

I went with Joe Roddy last year and previous to that with Pat Murphy. There is no difference between any of them and all the boats are roughly the same size. Cost is €50 this year but you could negotiate for the kids I'd say.

Mid June to Late July is a good time to see the puffins.

Here's a list:

www.skelligexperience.com/other-sea-tours/

Edited: 17 June 2014, 09:02
Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skellig puffin trip

I echo Byrno's comments regarding bringing a 4 year old onto Skellig Michael. At the very least, you will have to hold the child's hand ALL of the time. This will mean that you will have to negotiate the trek/climb while still holding his/her hand. This, imo, is tantamount to suicide. There is no guiderope, handrail ( apart from a chain along the ground on one particularly windy spot) whatsoever on the 600 foot climb, while the drop beside the steps is immediate. Please think twice.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,037 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skellig puffin trip

i'm with other posters...that is a huge climb and I wouldn't take a child period, much less a 4 year old....however, maybe i'm just a worrier....scares me to even think about doing that...

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
16,164 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skellig puffin trip

I so agree w/oma14, dokgolf, & Bryno, Please, rethink this portion of your trip.

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Skellig puffin trip

I have to echo others concern with the children. Please look at pictures of the conditions once on the island. I wouldn't take either the 4 or 7 year old. You get off the boat and almost immediately start the long, steep climb up the stairs to the top. This is not a flat island with room to run around, even at the top.

Here is a link to the review I wrote after our trip:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g186610-d618…

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
72 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Skellig puffin trip

Thank you all for your concern. We are definitely reconsidering. Are there any trips out that won't involve us climbing Skellig Micahel but still allow us to puffin or dolphin, etc watch more safely? Thanks again.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,164 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Skellig puffin trip

inishturk Island, off the coast of Co. Mayo

Edited: 19 June 2014, 00:23
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,164 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Skellig puffin trip

My post slipped away, check out Bellmullet, Erris Peninsula, Which, just won the top spot 'Best Places to Go Wild' www.errisbeo.ie Hope this helps.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,037 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Skellig puffin trip

keshgrammy, that is a great site...never knew about this....looks terrific....