We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is the best place to stay to see Castles & Scenery

5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where is the best place to stay to see Castles & Scenery

My daughter ( who is 24) and I are planning a trip to Ireland in May 2015. We are most interested in in the scenery and castles. We are not sure of the best place or places to stay.

Also I am unsure of driving on the wrong side, is this easy? We have looked into different ways of doing this trip. There are fly & self drive tours. If anyone has done one of these tours I would love to hear about it. Also what are the best places to see in Ireland with scenery & castles? We will have 8 to 10 days. Thanks in advance.

Dawn

Blarney Castle & Gardens
Castles, Historic Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Historic Walking Areas
Kilkenny Castle
Historic Sites, Castles
Trim Castle
Castles, Historic Sites
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,641 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is the best place to stay to see Castles & Scenery

You have lots of time to plan this trip. To help you, we need to know why you are coming here. 'Scenery and Castles' is too broad a hint for us. Give us more.

Re the driving. If you can drive confidently in your own country, then you can drive in this country - on the left hand side of the road. There is no need to book a fly and self drive tour, you can get all the help you need here from us.

The first thing I recommend is that you fly into Dublin and out of Shannon (or vice versa). This will allow you to do a U shaped trip of the country where you will see PLENTY of scenery, including castles.

Start thinking about where you would like to go with a sight such as this:

discoverireland.ie/Things-To-Do/Ideas-for-ac…

or this:

www.heritageireland.ie

or this:

http://www.discoverireland.ie/places-to-go/

or this:

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k282055…

Edited: 17 June 2014, 09:23
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is the best place to stay to see Castles & Scenery

After Dublin, I would start with Kilkenny. It's an easy drive, great castle in the center of town and then easy reach of Rock of Cashel and Cahir.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,880 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is the best place to stay to see Castles & Scenery

as bryno said, give us a little more information and you'll get tons of really good help here...

do you have "any" place/thing you think you might like to see?....if you do we could help you fit it into your plans....what we call must sees, might not be your must sees....

as for the driving, you can do it.....

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is the best place to stay to see Castles & Scenery

Hello,

We are interested in the Giant's Causeway, Ring of Kerry and the Cliff's of Moher. Bunratty Castle and Folk Park. As well as, as many castles as we can see along the way. I am also unsure of who to rent a car from and if I should look at another form of transportation. As I read that their are a lot of problems with renting cars in Dublin, as people getting charged for ridiculous things.. Any suggestions are much appreciated. It will be my daughter and I's first time in Ireland. We are not interested in pubs as we don't drink, but are very interested in history and beautiful scenery.

Dawn

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
17,428 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is the best place to stay to see Castles & Scenery

Greetings Dawn, First, I am addressing your car rental concern, deal directly with one of the car rental companies, if you are from the U.S., you can contact Dan Dooley, directly in N.J., I know there is an 800 #. (As of yet, I have not used Dooley) I have used 3 other car rental companies w/o, any surprises, added to my credit card bill, It is all about asking questions, getting it in writing (email). At p/u, is it the model you requested/ordered? Ask the rep., to go over every detail, whats not covered. Check the car, w/the company rep., how to operate, and, before & after, what dings, scrapes ....

About pubs, I don't imbibe, I might have a pot of decaf tea, (Lyons, carry my own) sit, & listen to the wonderful music & enjoy the atmosphere.

There are so many TA folks, available, to assist you with planning a magical & memorable time in Ireland, just ask...

Hope this helps.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,880 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where is the best place to stay to see Castles & Scenery

I highly recommend dooley car rental....their u.s. number is 800 331 9301.....you can prepay for the rental and all insurances before your trip....also, if you ask, you can prepay your fuel deposit...return the car full, when you return home call them to let them know you did so, they will verify that it was indeed returned full and within 2 days or less they credit the money back to your card....

if you have 10 days you can see the things on your wish list but you'll have some long drives by adding giant's causeway, doable but busy....you might leave the causeway for another trip and fly in and out of Shannon....you could visit bunratty castle, king john's castle in limerick, ross castle in killarney national park....also, I highly recommend a stay at markree castle just south of sligo.... http://www.markreecastle.ie/

as for not being interested in pubs because you don't drink, do have some pub meals, and go to at least one trad session in a pub in the evening if you can....it will be one of highlights of your trip....you don't have to drink and you'll find pubs in Ireland are nothing like bars in the u.s.....

Edited: 18 June 2014, 04:35
North Lanarkshire...
Level Contributor
636 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where is the best place to stay to see Castles & Scenery

Driving on the wrong side of the road isn't advisable. Stick to the left and it should be fine. :-)

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,747 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where is the best place to stay to see Castles & Scenery

Pressing the LIKE button for Anne's post!!

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,682 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where is the best place to stay to see Castles & Scenery

Unless you have a full fortnight you need to cut out the Giants causeway on this trip, it just doesnt fit well with the rest. Northern Ireland, the Antrim Coast, the Causeway etc could fill a whole ten days, as could Cork, Kerry, Clare and Galway. To try to do both regions would shortchange both.

Would echo that you do not need to be alcoholic drinkers to enjoy a pub, but please dont do what I have seen tourists do here, just go in as a group, take the best seats for music and not buy a drink at all. Soft drinks, tea and coffee are all available. Meals are usually good value in pubs too.

I have rented cars in ireland dozens of time (from Hertz) and never had the slightest problem, the only ones who post on here are those that do. You never hear from the hundreds of happy customers.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
50 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where is the best place to stay to see Castles & Scenery

Hello All Oma14& Fuchsia,

I looked at a map and realized why you said to leave the causeway for another trip. And I would prefer not to drive that much. I live in Canada and pubs are usually only about getting drunk here. We will take your suggestion and have a meal at a pub, it would be a new experience after all. We heard about the red cow interchange, is this a difficult thing to get through in Dublin? Would you suggest a train and then rent a car in Limerick? What is the driving like in the Wicklow mountains? I have a fear of heights and drove Yosemite but barely drove in parts of Yellowstone. I can't do mountain passes. What are the roads in the mountains like?

I have many questions as this is our first trip to Ireland. Thank you all for helping me!

Dawn