We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving distance vs. driving time?

Nashville, TN
4 posts
Save Topic
Driving distance vs. driving time?

Hi there. My fiance, soon-to-be husband, are traveling to Ireland for our honeymoon on Sept 9th. We have a full driving tour already planned, but it is just a skeleton from city to city and I'm not sure how long it takes to get to places in between the cities.

We arrive in Shannon at 7am and are spending our first night in Doolin, which doesn't look very far away. Is it possible to go from Shannon to Ennis to Kilrush to Killkee to Ennistymon to Doolin in one day? We wouldn't necessarily stop and get out in each city, but I would like to drive up the coast.

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Dublin
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Wild Rover Tours
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Collins Day Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Bus Tours
Irish Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
Dublin
Level Contributor
794 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving distance vs. driving time?

Hope you have a great time, and hope the wedding plans go wekk.

While I don't know that route, this website should help for calculating distances and time:

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/routes/

Ireland
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving distance vs. driving time?

You should aim at doing an average of 40mph. The AA Roadwatch website is very good and you should use it to plan but the driving times on it can be very optimistic. It relies on an average speed of 50-60mph but in reality on Irish Roads you will only do 40mph

Don't try to do too much as you will enjoy a relaxed trip much better.

The route you plan from Shannon is fine, it would take about 3 hours without stopping so you should have plenty of time

I hope you have a wonderful honeymoon in Ireland

Clare
Level Contributor
320 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving distance vs. driving time?

If you get a chance, stop into Eugene's pub in Ennistymon. It's a really quaint place.

If you fancy somewhere special to eat try 'The Back Oak' in Rineen, Miltown Malbay. The restaurant has stunning views of the Atlantic Ocean and the food is excellent. The seafood is yummy! Tom who owns the place is orginally from Philadelphia. You'd need to book as it's very popular, especially with the locals.

A trip out to Inis Oirr has to be done in my opinion, as you're staying in Doolin, you're only a few minutes from the ferry.

Also drive the coast road fom Doolin to Fanore. It's a spectacular drive and you get to see the Burren at its best.

Have a wonderful honeymoon!

Nashville, TN
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving distance vs. driving time?

Thanks SO much for these tips! That is very encouraging about the 3 hours. I think we'll definitely have time to do that then. We're thinking of stopping at the Craggaunowen Project...is it worth it?

Thanks for the pub recommendation. We'll also be looking for Egan's pub in Ennistymon cause that's my namesake afterall! Thanks!

Clare
Level Contributor
320 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving distance vs. driving time?

I don't think there's a pub called Egan's in Ennistymon, but there is a pub called Egan's in Liscannor which is a 10-15 minute drive from Ennistymon.

NW Indiana (near...
Level Contributor
217 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving distance vs. driving time?

Irishgirlcr,

My wife and I did that same route twice when we were there last November. It is a great route to drive and is very do-able on your first day. Have you ever driven on the "other" side of the road before? I think the only town that may be a little bit of an adventure on your first day will be Ennis... from what I remember!

Make sure you follow the small scenic route from Ennis to Kilrush that runs along the water. It's a very quiet road and the scenary is really beautiful. Watch the signs for Kilrush when you get near the Killimer ferry. We took the wrong road and when I say the grass growing in between the car tire tracks I knew we went the wrong way! That's where I had my first experience of crazy Irish farm dogs that like to chase cars! The we turned around and experienced it all over again! It was fun, though... So, don't be in too much of a hurry to get anywhere and you'll enjoy the occasional wrong turn that much more!

If you happen to pass through Killkee during lunch, if you like seafood chowder stop by the Stella Maris Hotel a block away from the water. It's on the main street into town... it was a great place!

If the weather is nice then don't miss the Cliffs of Moher at sunset. Also, staying in Doolin is great and check out the forum posts on Doolin here. Great pubs and music... can't wait to go back there this November.

Have fun and drive safe!

Nashville, TN
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving distance vs. driving time?

Thanks everyone! Yes, it will be our first time driving on the "other" side of the road. I'm a little nervous, but I think we'll be okay. I hope to try some of those scenic routes!

Oh, and Drummagh, you're right about Egan's pub! Thanks for pointing it out. I can already tell I'm going to get towns confused fairly easily!

Thanks everyone!

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving distance vs. driving time?

And in Doolin, I suggest you to go to Mc Dermott's and Mc Gann's pubs - there are 3 pubs total, and sometimes visitors just go to the one bang in the ''busiest'' part of the street : big mistake. These 2 are in a short walkin distance, and are the ones where local people go.

If you enjoy Irish music and would like to bring some CDs back home, I strongly suggest that you pay a visit to the music store that doubles with a café (thatched roof, and terrace - excellent cappucinos!), next to the bridge: the best choice I have seen!

9. Re: Driving distance vs. driving time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 18:16