We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Five Day Draft Agenda

Toronto
6 posts
Save Topic
Five Day Draft Agenda

Okay, let me preface this by saying I know a lot of people don't like fast pace travel but my hubby and I are good with it. We only get two weeks vacation per year so you have to make the best of it and squish things in.

We are visiting Ireland for the first time in September. We typically perfer the small down experience to the metropolitan areas. We are landing in Shannon and departing from Dublin. I don't have a lot on my must see list with the exception of the Ring of Kerry, a stop for the hubby at the Jameson Whiskey tour at Midleton and for me a trip to the Waterford factory. Other than than, we just want to drive see a nice spot and stop and enjoy it and the people.

I have drafted this rough itinerary and wonder if I'm pushing it just a little too hard. Thoughts?

Monday

Arrive in Shannon early am. Pick up the car and travel in the direction of Killarney for the night.

Tuesday

Drive the Ring of Kerry and stop for the night in Glengarriff.

Wednesday

Drive towards Midleton for a lunchtime Jameson Scotch Tour and then head out to Waterford (time permitting visit Waterford if not the next am) and stay in Waterford for the evening.

Thursday

Depart Waterford and travel in the direction of Kilkenny for the night.

Friday

Depart Kilkenny early for the drive to Dublin and take the hop on / off bus around Dublin. Stay the night.

Saturday

Depart for home.

Any advice or input is greatly appreciated!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,660 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Five Day Draft Agenda

All quite do-able.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Five Day Draft Agenda

Busy, but do-able - enjoy! :-)

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,465 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Five Day Draft Agenda

Sorry to be pedantic but Jameson is Irish Whiskey not Scotch

Toronto
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Five Day Draft Agenda

My error and thanks for the catch "whiskey".

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,660 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Five Day Draft Agenda

In Midleton, I recommend the Farm Gate café for food. Or down the road in Castlemartyr Pat Shortts pub at the traffic lights.

Toronto
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Five Day Draft Agenda

We love to eat and drink so thanks for the tips!

Iowa
Level Contributor
223 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Five Day Draft Agenda

I agree, you'll be driving quite a bit, but do-able.

A few suggestions - if you want a nice bit of walking and like Irish history, stop at Lough Gur just south of Limerick as you make your way to Killarney. I find fresh air & walking help jet lag more than a nap.

The Waterford Crystal Factory Tour is located in the Viking Triangle in Waterford. If you can, visit the museums of 'Waterford Treasures' and take the tour with costumed interpreters at the Medieval Museum and the Bishop's Palace.

Will you not spend any time in Kilkenny? It is really a lovely town. Kilkenny Design Centre is just across from the castle- do try to pop in there.

Toronto
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Five Day Draft Agenda

Thanks so much for your suggestions. We know we can't see it all rather just a taste. It's those things that keep you coming back for more!

9. Re: Five Day Draft Agenda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2015, 06:16