We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin cathedrals

Dickinson, North...
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Topic
Dublin cathedrals

Which one would you recommend to go to between St Patrick's, Christchurch, or St Michan's?

Christ Church Cathedral
Architectural Buildings, Sacred & Religious Sites, Historic Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
Clonmacnoise
Historic Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
St.James Church
Churches & Cathedrals
St Peter's Church
Churches & Cathedrals
England, United...
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin cathedrals

Of St Patricks and Christchurch, I'd choose Christchurch, but only just. They are fairly near to each other, you could probably do both in a couple of hours. Both are South of the river, beautiful churches, very atmospheric, lots of history.

St Michans is in a different area - North of the Liffey - and is a completely different experience, better known for the crypt and the mummies rather than the church itself. I like it as a quirky Dubln experience but it's not a grand cathedral like the others.

So it depends what you are looking for , and what part of Dublin you will be staying in. If you go for St Michans you can combine with a trip to the Jameson Distillery which is in the same area.

Edited: 26 June 2014, 23:58
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
15,736 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin cathedrals

Josh, I visited Christ Church & St. Patrick's, both beautiful.

Dickinson, North...
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin cathedrals

We are staying North of city Centre in drumcondra. Maybe we will just see all 3 if it isn't too much of a hassle.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,736 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin cathedrals

Where in Drumcondra?

Bozeman, Montana
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin cathedrals

Christ Church was incredible!

Dickinson, North...
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin cathedrals

http://www.annandalebnb.com/

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,736 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dublin cathedrals

I like Drumchondra, some great restaurants, good exercise walking to Dublin Centre.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dublin, Agadir
Level Contributor
4,969 posts
542 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dublin cathedrals

You could easily visit all 3 as they are all within walking distance.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dublin cathedrals

Note that access to the crypt in St Michan's is by guide tour only (€5 I think) and you must be ok with small doorways and uneven steps. Very interesting though!

Hard to choose between St Patrick's and Christchurch... each has so much going for it! Loved the crypt in Christchurch and also the Lady's Chapel in St Patrick's!

Hard choice!

10. Re: Dublin cathedrals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2015, 05:17