We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Soon there

Kincardine, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Soon there

For those who have helped us and those who will be in ireland and Northern ireland . We will be at Florence Court (where a friends father walked to school) July 3-5

Hillsborough 6/7 at the Coach House

Feeny 8/9 (our drive between these two will be the time to visit the resting places of both our ancestors)

Near Glenties on Gweebara Bay July 10-12

Markree Castle 13

Ballyglass Mayo in a converted stone barn 14-18

Glebe House in Rathowen on the 19th

Skerries the 20th

We extend the offering of a pint , a good malt or a fine tea for all your help in planning our first trip to Ireland

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
15,193 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Soon there

When you leave Markree Castle, Colooney, if you head to Ballymote, (less than 15 min.) there is a restaurant, Corran's, a hole in the wall, you could pass it by, great food. Then take the 296> 294>N17, down to Claremorris, getting off at the N60, Aldi's is on your left, there are two organic food store's, one, is off Dalton Street & another, at the Tesco shopping center, off the N60. Ballyglass, is lovely, sheep & cattle, on the rolling hills. Check out the old school conversion. Claremorris has a great cafe, Aghna's, on Dalton St.

Enjoy!

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Soon there

What a lovely gesture, chevrolet63 :-)

Hope you have a fabulous holiday - and hope someone takes you up on your generous offer!

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,466 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Soon there

Chevrolet, you are going to have a blast....come back and tell us all about it....

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
417 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Soon there

Have a wonderful trip! So interesting to see Markree and Skerries on your itinerary, not on the typical tourist path, but we loved them both.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Soon there

I'm lovin' that so many of you are considering Skerries thesedays. I think I may be the one who advocates it to some of you. I may have to stop though, as I don't want it over-run with tourists ;-)

Well done to you on your itinerary. You certainly have picked some gems. I'm smiling at the thoughts of them.

From the ones that I am familiar with:

Hillsborough is a pretty place, with a wealth of amenities on your doorstep. I'm going to look into that Coach house for me!

Ballyglass - a great (off the beaten track) base for Mayo and parts of Galway

Rathowen - a great base for the Midlands

and of course Skerries!

Only for I have a date with 2 other Canadians this evening, I'd offer some of my favourites from each of the places I'm familar with. However, I can't help but feel that you will be teaching us all a thing or two. Do say though, if you need some suggestions.

Please, please promise that you will write a Trip Report. I'm excited even at the thought of it. To be honest, it will make saying goodbye to Aimeekm and her great reports that little easier to bear!

Oh, and in return, I'm willing to go to Skerries and buy the drinks for you (if you promise to write of your travels!)

I just know you are going to have a wonderful time :-)

Edited: 28 June 2014, 16:56
Kincardine, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Soon there

Aimeekm We are far from your average tourists , even have a jeep safari booked to Cuilcugh mountain from marble arch caves and maybe, just maybe , if the weather is right tandem paragliding at Dungiven . Have trail maps printed for our hikes and have just added stops at Raphoe and the church ruins at Dunlewy and try to get to Doe Castle . We are from a farm here and don't like crowds or lineups or cities so that dictated what we wanted to do.

Thanks for the info Kesh though we will be taking the looong way (tbd) to Ballyglass from Markree and will hit Clairmorris later that week.

We will try our best to give an interesting trip report

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
15,193 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Soon there

Hope you have great weather, I am sure, you will enjoy every minute. Looking forward to your trip report.

8. Re: Soon there

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2015, 06:16