We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guesthouses?

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Guesthouses?

Could anyone give me input on staying in guesthouses travelling through Ireland? Mature Canadian lady wanting fairly unstructured 10 days Dublin,Kildare, Galway, Dingle, return Dublin. Bus between? I have explored Cuba this way, Ireland should be a little easier! I am looking at September.

Edited: 29 June 2014, 01:31
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,388 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guesthouses?

Yes easily doable in 10 days using bus and/or train. Kildare would be best done as an organised tour (such as this one daytoursireland.ie/kildare-tours-ireland.htm or there are other providers, just google it) while you are in Dublin, you could do it by bus yourself but that depends on what you want to see in Kildare.

Galway is accessible from Dublin by train or bus right to city centre. When there an organised tour of Connemara on one day and Cliffs of Moher on another would be a great idea as you cannot easily see the highlights of Connemara by public bus.

To get to Dingle from Galway or Dublin for that matter will require that you get to Killarney or Tralee first by either train or bus. Then, once in Killarney or Tralee you can get a bus to Dingle town. You can do organised tours of Dingle peninsula from Dingle town itself of Killarney. Deros tours gets very good feedback on TA for this. There are no public buses to take you around the Dingle Pen, and when in Dingle, this is a 'must do'

Dingle back to Dublin is easy once you get back to Killarney or Tralee again.

So for 10 days, here is a kick-start itinerary for you

Dublin - 3 days (including one day trip to Kildare). Additionally if you are not "into" ciites, also do the 'Wild Wicklow' tour from Dublin

Galway - 3 days (Connemara, Cliffs of Moher, Galway city)

Killarney - 1 day (Muckross House, Gardens, Torc Waterfall, Ross Castle, trip on lakes)

Dingle - 2 days

Dublin 1 day

An alternative for you. Instead of staying in Dingle for two days, stay in Killarney for 3. Then do organised tours of Dingle Peninsula, Ring of Kerry and Killarney itinerary (above) over those three days. Killarney is a great base.

You can do all the above locations without using organised tours, but you will miss out on a lot if you do it that way, especially in Dingle and Galway.

Edited: 29 June 2014, 06:25
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,280 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guesthouses?

If you are travelling by public transport, book your accommodation in advance. It is quite a simple matter, if you have a car, to drive round and find a BandB with vacanices, if one is full you just drive on, but you dont want ot be walking round and round a town pulling a suitcase.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,388 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guesthouses?

Yes, book accommodations ahead. One major headache out of the way for you when you are visiting here. BTW - September, a lovely month to visit Ireland, particularly from 1st up to about 15th.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guesthouses?

Thank you for the input, great suggestions. 2 days in Dingle is perfect as I want to do horse riding there. 3 days Dublin is also good as I do ceroc dancing in Vancouver & this is offered at Finnstown hotel. Nice to hear from you Fuchia, I have heard from you before on this subject, just haven't made the jump yet! Dreams & finances don't always cooperate!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia
Level Contributor
12,747 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guesthouses?

Greetings happywander, Is ceroc a type of jive dancing? Please enlighten me.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,510 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guesthouses?

How well do you ride? If you are traveling by bus etc. then the easiest option to ride in Dingle would be the place at the edge of the town -http://www.dinglehorseriding.com/treks/ but there is a certain amount of road work involved.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guesthouses?

Yes ceroc is a dance lots of info on utube & google. Always need more leads so try It, it's fun! Harvey I have contacted & researched dinglehorseriding it sounds perfect for me but costly. I am finding costs for everything I want to do quite daunting. eg an evening at Ceroc in Vancouver is $12 cdn, in Dublin 15 e, almost double!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia
Level Contributor
12,747 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Guesthouses?

Thank you for the ceroc info. Keshgrammy

9. Re: Guesthouses?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2015, 05:17