We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mother and Daughter Trip to Ireland

NYC
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Mother and Daughter Trip to Ireland

My 20-year old daughter and I are flying into London 16 August and out of Paris 28 August. We will stay in London a night or two and in Paris three nights. In between, we’re heading to Ireland, the real point of this trip, flying (I guess flying) into Dublin where we’ll stay two nights and then head west to the Dingle Peninsula, Galway and not sure where else. So, 7 days in Ireland. We are looking for a combination of city (for the poets, writers, music, food), natural (wild) beauty of the countryside (the images we see in the movies shot in Ireland – Waking Ned Devine, Dancing at Lughnasa etc) and charming villages (pubs, music).

I am feeling a bit overwhelmed (faint of heart) because of the driving. I love to drive but the thought of driving “on the other side” and shifting with my left vs right hand is daunting. So, I’m wondering if, to relieve the anxiety, we should take a train from Dublin and take private drivers (a huge luxury) for 2-3 days to tour about – see the coast. But otherwise maybe make “home base” in Dingle for a couple days and same with Galway. We would like to horseback ride one day (in Dingle?).

Am not considering an organized tour – not at all interested in traveling in big groups. Might consider a 3-day small group tour if I thought there would be young people traveling, but unlikely.

Any and all advice is welcome!

Maryland
Level Contributor
2,885 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mother and Daughter Trip to Ireland

As for driving it's not as challenging as some have described. Get an automatic and make it easier. You won't need a car in Dublin or Galway so plan to get it on your way out of town. Horseback riding will be great fun and how nice for you both to be enjoying Mother-Daughter travel making memories together!

Cheers,

Sunny

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,161 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mother and Daughter Trip to Ireland

How well do you both ride?

NYC
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mother and Daughter Trip to Ireland

No jumping or anything more rigorous than a nice canter. I used to ride and show - pleasure ponies equitation - as a girl, but it's been years (decades). My daughter rode as a child and summers until she was about 14. Trot, canter on flat surface. We both dislike "trail rides" where you're nose to tail and going down a mountainside!

NYC
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mother and Daughter Trip to Ireland

I love to drive and I'm a good driver but for some reason, I envision those traffic circles or making turns, and wonder if the Irish are fast, tailgating drivers like many in Europe and am worried. I don't know, after reading some of the posts, I'm thinking, as I said, that staying in one place for 2-3 days makes sense. And if, when we get to a destination, I want to look into renting a car, maybe there will be one available. As for an automatic, I've read that, even though one might reserve an automatic, often, upon arrival, you're given a standard.

My daughter and I have been to Greece, Italy, Spain, France, London, Germany, but not Ireland - someplace I've always wanted to go - just because I'm intimidated by the driving. Plus, I did not even think about public transportation (like the train) as everyone speaks of either self-drives or coaches. I wonder what the train is like - thinking Dublin across to the west.

Thanks!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia
Level Contributor
12,083 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mother and Daughter Trip to Ireland

Greetings NYC, You don't need a car in Dublin, you can take the bus to the airport, & p/u the car when leaving. Check out the Top Questions About Ireland, right side of the Forum page. Rent an automatic, check your route, do you have an i phone for gps, I use a old fashion map, print out info on directions, I put about 3500+km on a vehicle each visit. Check & recheck on the insurance, and check out the vehicle, inside & out, for damage, including the tires, take photo's. Driving times, add to it. There are a number of excellent video's on You Tube, about driving, below is a few, you can google.

Driving in Ireland

Tips for driving in Ireland

How to Drive in Ireland for Americans

Cong & Connemara N.P., is where the Quite Man, was filmed. Dancing at Lughnasa, Co. Wicklow, hate to disappoint you, Waking Ned Devine, filmed, on, The Isle of Man.

Dingle, Horseback riding, www.dinglehorseriding.com/

Connemara, N.P., breathtakingly beautiful, but, then so is Ireland.

Everyone at TA, is here to assist you & your daughter, in having a magical & memorable visit in Ireland.

Hope this helps

Elwood, IL
Level Contributor
286 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mother and Daughter Trip to Ireland

You definitely don't need a car in Dublin. My daughter and I just got back tonight from our trip. Get an automatic, it will be much easier. Don't worry about driving on the left. Just keep telling yourself stay left stay left. I loved driving there and I can't wait to come back Enjoy!

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
420 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mother and Daughter Trip to Ireland

We reserved an automatic and got what we asked for, no problems. Honestly we found the drivers in Ireland to be patient and polite - it seemed much less stressful than other European countries (Italy - no way. Greece - we changed our minds about renting a car at the last minute). I drove in NYC for years, if you can do it there, you'll be fine : ) Despite my worries about the driving - it was great and provided us the flexibility to do whatever we felt like. We did have a gps, and an atlas, and printed out google maps directions (of course they were all different, but isn't that part of the fun?).

You will LOVE Ireland. Cheers.

NYC
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mother and Daughter Trip to Ireland

Ok. I guess I will go for it! Thanks for the words of encouragement re the driving. Plus will look for "Americans Driving in Ireland) Youtube videos as per Keshgrammy.

I just remember coming home from our Spain/France trip to find my daughter had emailed (or put on FB, not sure) our friends at one especially precarious moment when we'd just gotten our car (stick shift) and was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic on a steep hill in a resort town, and I was trying to shift so as not to roll into the car behind. I think her exact message was, "My mom is going to kill us!" Little" moments like these which at the time are quite stressful make for great stories.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,601 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mother and Daughter Trip to Ireland

like you I was terrified about shifting with my left hand, was not necessary...the gears are in the same place as are the clutch, brake and accelerator....as was stated the irish drivers are patient and won't be screaming, cursing, or making hand gestures if you are going too slow...just remember if traffic is building up behind you, move to the left and they'll pass you and be on their way....if you can drive a stick you can save yourself the added cost of an automatic, if not rent one....just do what makes you the most comfortable....

NYC
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mother and Daughter Trip to Ireland

The car question is settled. I will rent for a couple days, but will try to get an automatic. Is it feasible to pick car up at one location like Dublin airport and return it to another, like Shannon's airport.?