We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help figuring out what city to use as bases

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
105 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Need help figuring out what city to use as bases

I'm going to Ireland this August and am trying to figure out what cities to use as bases. I'm not going to be renting a car. I get into Dublin on the 10th around noon and fly back to London on the 20th. I was looking at another trip report of someone who visited Ireland without a car and they ended their trip in Galway and took the city link bus back straight to airport. I decided to do this as well, since Galway is an area I wanted to see too. I've already have my ticket for the bus. The 20th will mostly be a travel day with no time to do much. I'll have a bit of time in the morning.

I'm having a hard time deciding what other cities to use as bases and how long to stay in each city. This is my first time to Ireland. I'm most looking forward to seeing the beautiful country side. I love being by the water, walking in nature with my camera taking pictures, seeing history.... I'd much rather have quality time in places over quantity of what I see.

I was thinking maybe Dublin. Cork, Killarney and Galway for bases. I think that might be too many though with the time frame I have.

Suggestions please.

Thanks,

Sarah

Kerry
Level Contributor
621 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Need help figuring out what city to use as bases

Both Galway and Killarney are great bases for the west and sw areas .....IMO I'd prefer to be strolling around Killarney national park and / or Connemara than Ballinacurra weston or the Dock road...:-)

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Need help figuring out what city to use as bases

Parnell St is practically China town, you could walk down O'Connell St and meet very few Irish people not to mention Dubs. I lived in Galway for a number of years and met loads of locals. I also lived in Dublin for a number of years and know both cities very well. Oh I forgot temple bar in Dublin...silly me...that is not false at all, very authentic in fact.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,665 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Need help figuring out what city to use as bases

I cant think of any city I like, even Tralee seems big to me, unfortunately OP wants to see nature and walk in the woods but will not have a car, which is very limiting. But Killarney would be perfect as you can walk to the lakes and Torc waterfall etc.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
884 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Need help figuring out what city to use as bases

You've mentioned 2 streets and one small area in a city of approx 1.5m. I don't like or rate Galway or Killarney, what's the big deal? Is there a rule that says I have to like them? Some places seem to be beyond criticism.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Need help figuring out what city to use as bases

Hey everyone! Let's focus on Sarah M's request for bases with history and scenery within walking distance, that can be reached easily by public transport. I still think Killarney and Galway are good options.

Sarah - whilst in Dublin, you might like to take a day-trip to Glendalough: beautiful scenery "and" history :

http://www.glendalough.ie

heritageireland.ie/en/…

:-)

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Need help figuring out what city to use as bases

OP, some the most beautiful countryside in this country will be found in the West and South West. West Cork, Co Kerry and Co. Galway. Do some research yourself, perhaps take a look at Google maps to give yourself an idea of what places are like. In my opinion it is a shame to visit Ireland and base yourself in a large city. A forum is about opinions. Just as some posters are allowed to dislike Killarney and Galway, I am also allowed to dislike Limerick and Dublin.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Need help figuring out what city to use as bases

Yes Sarnia, it says a lot about Dublin when the consistent advice to many people for a Dublin-based day trip is in Co. Wicklow.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
105 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Need help figuring out what city to use as bases

Thanks everyone for your replies! I like the idea of Dublin, Killarney and Galway. How many days in each city do you recommend? Thanks Sarnia for keeping the replies focused on my questions. :)

Thanks for the links you all shared. I've had a busy day, but tomorrow will have a good look at all the info shared. I really appreciate it.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Need help figuring out what city to use as bases

I think it depends what you want to see/do in each area.

Killarney:

You could spend most of the day at the Gap of Dunloe :

http://www.derostours.com/gapofdunloe.html

http://www.gapofdunloetours.com/bus_boat.html

Muckross House, Gardens and the walk to Torc would fill several hours . . .

Deros Tours offer tours other than just the Gap if you're interested?

http://derostours.com/new/all-tours/

You could either take a day tour to Dingle Peninsula with Deros, or take the bus, although you'd probably want to stay overnight to allow enough time to look around:

www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1278674985-284d.pdf

You could then bus Dingle - Tralee - Galway :

www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1360753065-054.pdf

As mentioned in my previous post, there are three good day-long excursions from the city: Aran Islands; Connemara; Burren and Cliffs of Moher.

If you don't like the idea of organised tours, you could get the bus to the Cliffs; it's a scenic route once you turn off at Kilcolgan and head towards the Burren:

www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1398958081-350.pdf

There's also a bus service from Galway to Clifden, if you want to see a bit of Connemara independently (move down to pages 3-4 for the summer timetable):

www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1340110589-419.pdf

http://www.connemara.ie/en/connemara/clifden/

discoverireland.ie/Activities-Adventure/clif…

virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Ireland/Cou…

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
105 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Need help figuring out what city to use as bases

Oh man, reading up on things in Killarney. I could spend 10 days just there!! This country holds so many beautiful things to explore. How am I going to narrow this down? And I haven't even started researching more of Galway or Dublin. I do want to go to the Wicklow Mountains and Glendalough Valley as a day trip whilst in Dublin. I want to see Ring Of Kerry, Gap of Duloe (looks like some nice tour options), Muckross Abbey, a boat tour of some kind would be nice too. I want to do the Doolin Cliff Walk in Galway.

Okay back to researching.... any tips on narrowing it down would be helpful. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed.

Thanks,

Sarah