We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Ireland for the first time!

Knoxville...
Level Contributor
6 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to Ireland for the first time!

Hi everyone! My boyfriend and I will be traveling to Ireland for the first time next week! Super excited!! I have a few questions though, since it's our first time traveling out of the United States. 1.) Will a GPS from the US work in Ireland? 2.) Can I use auto insurance that I have here in the US? I have full coverage on my vehicle. Wondering about hiring a car has me stressing out a little bit. I have compared prices on Hertz, Avis, and Budget. Budget seems to be the cheaper option. Thanks in advance!

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
456 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Ireland for the first time!

1) You will need European maps added to your GPS. If you have a Garmin they are least expensive on Ebay. But you might be cutting it close since you're leaving next week. You may need to download off the Garmin site or buy off Amazon, if you have Prime.

2) No, US insurance will definitely not cover you. There are a million discussions of insurance on this forum. Check out the "Top Questions" on the right and you can also do a search of the forum. No need to stress about it, just do some homework and be prepared and you'll be fine.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Ireland for the first time!

You definitely need to research car rental before booking anything; please read the following, which a group of us composed to - hopefully - help folk:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186591-c138899/Ire…

Have a look at these two companies; they offer "fully inclusive" rates that include all the insurances, location charge, tax etc. Dan Dooley have a us telephone number that you can call, talk to someone if you have any queries :

http://easytourireland.com/

http://www.dandooley.com/

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Ireland for the first time!

As this will be your first time driving in Ireland, have a look through these; hope they help:

www.drivingschoolireland.com/roundabouts.html

Video courtesy of fenlaDublin, who posted it here on Tripadvisor on an earlier post:

m.youtube.com/watch…

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
17,465 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Ireland for the first time!

Greetings Sarnia, Great post, every driver should be required to watch, before getting the keys to the vehicle.

Knoxville...
Level Contributor
6 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Ireland for the first time!

Thank you everybody! I also enjoyed watching the video lol. Definitely stressing, but I guess that's only normal. We are wanting to travel to Northern Ireland upon arriving to Dublin to see The Dark Hedges, Dunluce Castle, Giant's Causeway, and the Carrick-A-Rede Rope Bridge. If we opt out of the GPS, will the main roads somewhat point to these? Or should I print out driving directions to each?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to Ireland for the first time!

Dunluce Castle, Giant's Causeway, and the Carrick-A-Rede Rope Bridge are all close together off the main coast road, well signposted and easy enough to find without a GPS.

Edited: 05 July 2014, 08:34
Knoxville...
Level Contributor
6 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling to Ireland for the first time!

Awesome. I'm glad to hear that! Another question.... adaptor or converter? We are from the US and only plan on bringing cell phone chargers and a battery charger to my camera. As much as I want to, I'm not bringing my hair straightener. For these chargers, do I buy an adaptor or converter? Most of what I've read is saying to use an adaptor but I have read some people say to use a converter. Also, is it fairly easy and cheap to rent/buy a cell phone there? Thanks for your help!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
17,465 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling to Ireland for the first time!

Greetings, I am referring you to the right of this post, Top Questions about Ireland, please scroll down to #21, Can I use my electrical appliances in Ireland. Everything you need to know is posted here. The site, explains, what an adapter & a converter are used for.

Hope this helps

Knoxville...
Level Contributor
6 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling to Ireland for the first time!

Read it. Thanks everybody!

Knoxville...
Level Contributor
6 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling to Ireland for the first time!

Read it. Thanks everybody!