We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of Buying/Renting a Telephone

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
38 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Cost of Buying/Renting a Telephone

We need to purchase or rent a phone just to use for brief calls within Ireland, confirming bookings, dinner reservations, etc. for 2 weeks later this month. We don't need data, internet, etc How much do we need to pay? Do we purchase a "throw away" phone? We fly to Shannon next Sunday. Need to know this week!! Many thanks to all.

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
420 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of Buying/Renting a Telephone

We got one at Tesco for 15 euro, and then just added some minutes. We are keeping it for the next Europe trip and will just get a new sim card.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia
Level Contributor
12,112 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of Buying/Renting a Telephone

Tesco 9-15 euros, I topped it off 15 euros. I took the battery out, when I arrived home, will recharge before next trip.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
38 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of Buying/Renting a Telephone

Thanks for quick reply Keshgrammy and heiho! Was that initial cost for the phone only without minutes? I anticipate we'll need 30-60 minutes. Also, I note, Grammy that u r in Dingle (oops. just checked, Maybe I'm wrong Thought that from an earlier posting of yours I read) which is where we're headed. Is there a Tesco there? or at Shannon or on the way from Shannon??

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,112 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of Buying/Renting a Telephone

Greetings margaret, I just looked for the nearest Tesco heading towards Dingle, Tralee, shows having a superstore. that said, someone on TA, may jump on w/more info about Tesco, in southern Co. Clare.

The samsung, came w/minutes, I added twice, as I am in Ireland for a bit of time. Please let us know what else we can assist you with.

Hope this helps

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
38 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of Buying/Renting a Telephone

Thanks so much. Wonder how much we'd have to detour to go to Tesla in Tralee. I love your photo. Is it really you?? U look like everyone's Irish gram! ..... Margaret O'Rourke

Will wait and hope for for info for a day or two.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,112 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of Buying/Renting a Telephone

Tesco, Tralee, about 1 1/2 hour drive from the SNN Airport, it is on the route to Dingle, which, is about an hour further.

Maryland
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost of Buying/Renting a Telephone

Tesco is a chain of big stores like Walmart and they are everywhere. Google for locations. I also did the €9.99 phone and whatever minutes you but they double it for free automatically. Plus, it's a tiny very easy to use phone that fits nicely into any pocket.

Cheers,

Sunny

Edited: 06 July 2014, 13:56
Las Vegas
Level Contributor
420 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost of Buying/Renting a Telephone

Pay as you go phones:

…tescomobile.com/pay-as-you-go/…

Top up (add minutes) - you can do it when you buy the phone or from the phone:

https:/…TMLogin.aspx

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
38 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost of Buying/Renting a Telephone

Thank you, SunnyUnlimited. I will google for locations but I think keshgrammy already did and it was Tralee. How close to the Tesla store does the route to Dingle go? Is it hard to find? I hope someone can answer these questions. Thanks all.

Maryland
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cost of Buying/Renting a Telephone

It's TESCO not tesla, and you do not have to go all the way to Tralee as there are 7 Tesco's in the Shannon -Limerick area alone.

Sunny