We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photography must sees along the following route...

Hudson, Florida
Level Contributor
26 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Photography must sees along the following route...

9 days until our trip! Can't wait!!

One of my greatest passions is my photography, and in this age of digital, I cannot wait to see what I can find to take pictures of during our visit.

We are flying into Dublin and will be taking a train to Cork to visit Blarney Castle and the city of Cork itself. We are then renting a car and driving towards the Beara Peninsula, Dingle Peninsula and Ring of Kerry. We have 4 days to see the area with one night in Kenmare and two in Killarney.

I am sure the scenery will be breathtaking all around and shouldn't be hard to find picturesque places to take photos - but what about ruins? Along the route from Cork up to Kenmare, and then around Killarney and the individual peninsulas are there any specific ruins that stand out? I am looking for anything - churches, monasteries, friaries, cathedrals, cemetaries etc...The only one that I have had mentioned to me thus far is Timoleague which looks right up my alley.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
83 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Photography must sees along the following route...

Katherine, we covered some of your ground in May, including Dingle Peninsula, Ring of Beara, Killarney NP, Gap of Dunloe, Mizen Head, Blarney Castle, Cahir Castle and Rock of Cashel/Hore Abbey. Here's a link to a smidgen of the 1600 pics I took during our 12 day trip, which might give you some ideas. The key is getting half decent weather. Healy Pass was breathtaking, our favorite, but we had nice weather. Waste of time when cloudy. Connor Pass was just OK, especially compared to Healy. Lots of photo ops wherever you are.

…smugmug.com/Travel/…

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
183 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Photography must sees along the following route...

Hi Katherine H,

You will find so much to photograph!! I think the nicest, and least explored peninsula is the Beara peninsula. The old copper mines at Allihies are worth a walk up from the village, and the views over the bay are spectacular too. The fishing boats at Castletownbere might take your fancy too. I must say that the northern coast of the peninsula is the most amazing drive! Lots of old stones. But it's also hair raising, if you're not used to narrow roads!! The road from Kenmare to Glengarriff is spectacular in my opinion.

You'll find lots of old ruins, don't worry!

Mags.

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Photography must sees along the following route...

Katherine, If you're on the road that magscork ,mentions you might enjoy St Kilcatherine's Cemetery. You go through Eyeries and keep heading west. The cemetery will be on your right. Great old burial ground.

The Old Burial ground in Kenmare (and the holy well) are also well worth visiting. Look for the sign to the Sheen Falls Hotel and it's right next door.

grafton
Level Contributor
634 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Photography must sees along the following route...

Plainstrainsnautos, thank you for sharing your photos. They were absolutely beautiful. Cant wait to see it all with my own eyes though.

California
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Photography must sees along the following route...

There is a park by the bridge at the south end of Kenmare (it is walking distance, although a long one from town center). It has some marvelous statues and is right on the. bay. I took some of my most memorable photos there at sun down. Kenmare, itself, is photogenic. I envy your trip with camera in hand.

Dickinson, North...
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Photography must sees along the following route...

Absolutely beautiful pictures, Planestrainsnautos. I have a feeling almost everything is a photography must see in Ireland. I usually am not good with taking pictures on trips, but I think I will be wanting to take a picture every 5 minutes in Ireland.

Hudson, Florida
Level Contributor
26 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Photography must sees along the following route...

Thank you so much for your suggestions and to planestrainsnautos for sharing your beautiful pictures. I haven't been overseas in 12yrs so this is my first time with my digital camera. No worries about cost of film and developing anymore so I am sure even though we are only there for a week I will be coming back with thousands of pictures as well!

I am a tad bit anxious about the driving, but narrow, winding roads don't bother me. I have done a lot of "cliff driving" out in the American west down switchbacks that are barely one car wide. Hard part for me is focusing on the road instead of the scenery! I will be sure to post some pics when I get back too!

8. Re: Photography must sees along the following route...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 22:15