We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin hotel in safe and convenient area

Flanders, New Jersey
1 post
Save Topic
Dublin hotel in safe and convenient area

My husband, 23 yr. old daughter and I need to book a hotel in Dublin VERY SOON as we are coming in September. I am considering a few around Parnell Street but have read several reviews saying that the area is "sketchy" and am wondering if we will feel safe coming back at night as we are not renting a car and will have to depend on walking and public transportation. We are hoping to find something that includes breakfast, not expensive and conveniently located.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,513 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin hotel in safe and convenient area

Which hotel (s) are you considering?

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,549 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin hotel in safe and convenient area

Please post your nightly budget. And do you require one room or two?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,979 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin hotel in safe and convenient area

Exact dates are important too; there are a couple big events in September where price and availability might be an issue.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin hotel in safe and convenient area

In the Parnell Street area I have stayed at Jury's, the Maldron, the Belvedere. All were fine, no worries at all about walking back in the evenings. Of the three, the Maldron was my favourite, but Jury's is in a slightly better location as it is surrounded by busy shops and supermarkets and is marginally closer to the river with access to South side attractions. Have a look at the reviews and see what you think.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin hotel in safe and convenient area

Another thought for the OP. Taxis in Dublin are cheap and reasonably priced, if you do feel uncomfortable about walking back to the hotel at night (which won't be a problem if my experience is anything to go by) a taxi for the three of you will not break the bank.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
15,222 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin hotel in safe and convenient area

Greetings! I have walked the City of Dublin, from early morning to evening, w/o hesitation. Where, towns, in M.C., I would be more than hesitant, to walk down a street, or, park my vehicle. What is important, are your dates & budget, as, Sept. in Dublin, has quite a bit, going on.

Hope this helps

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
3,618 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dublin hotel in safe and convenient area

Jury's Hotel has recently gone through some nice renovations, that would be my choice for location and convenience. They have some great offers on presently too!

Dublin
Level Contributor
914 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dublin hotel in safe and convenient area

Sketchy it is. Would think you would be fine though. Don't use the mobile phone (if you had one), out on the street and camera on view etc. I would stay outta town, or up around St. Stephens Green instead.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dublin hotel in safe and convenient area

It's not a pretty area but in general I think it's fine. I've never felt unsafe there.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dublin hotel in safe and convenient area

Would Jury's Inn Christchurch fit your budget, and while the Parnell St area is OK, I would prefer to be up around Christchurch, which is within walking distance of many of Dublin's tourist sights - www.jurysinns.com/hotels/dublin/christchurch

Edited: 09 July 2014, 17:34