We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry Crossing to holyhead

ireland
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Ferry Crossing to holyhead

Which is the best option with small kids - the high speed ferry or conventional ferry

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry Crossing to holyhead

I prefer the conventiional ferry even though the fast ferry gets you there quicker as less chance of it been cancelled and if you book the high speed you may get put onto the conventional one anyway.

I wouldn't go on a fast ferry unless I had no choice!!

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,665 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry Crossing to holyhead

I use the Swift regularly. But whichever you choose they require strict supervision.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
3,476 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry Crossing to holyhead

What time of the year are you travelling? How old are the children?

The HSS (Stena) from Dun Laoghaire takes approx two and a half hours, the Swift (Irish Ferries) similar time, the conventional ferries take approx three and a half hours. So not much time difference really. Check the sailing times to see which suits you better.

On certain crossings there has been entertainment put on for children. There's also a cinema (with quite up to date movies)which passes the time away. You could take colouring books or download a few cartoons/movies to a tablet for the children to watch.

I was on Stena Adventurer just the other day, one family with eight children caused mayhem in the Stena Plus lounge, their parents didn't bat an eyelid, until one ran out of the lounge when the door opened! There was lots of "tutting" from many of the other parents! (and cabin crew too) It's the worst I've witnessed on a crossing in a long while and we sail frequently.

4. Re: Ferry Crossing to holyhead

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 23:16