We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August Itinerary

Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
August Itinerary

3 weeks on Friday!! On 1st August we'll be coming to Ireland. can't wait this is the trip I've always wanted to do. Cork City and Tralee are where my family came from around 1911 all the others are places I've seen and fancied visiting on the way around.

Back in April I posted an itinerary and have since changed and adjusted it into shape, any comments welcome.

Fri 1 Ferry to Dublin arriving 5.25pm Drive to Cahir Carrigeen Castle 1 night

Sat 2 -Tues 5 Cork City, 3 nights Beeches b and b

Tues 5 to Weds 6 Drive to Baltimore passing through Kinsale, Clonakilty and Skibereen 1 night Rathmore House. Hopefully including a sea safari and Beara Peninsula

Weds 6 to Sun 10 Move to Killarney 4 nights Dirreen House, including Ring of Kerry, Dingle Peninsula and some time in Tralee then leaving for Dublin stopping in Adare for lunch on the way.

Sun 10 Kildare, Kilroan House 1 night

Mon 11 Ferry from Dublin 2.30pm. Hopefully we'll have time for a hop on tour of Dublin (without getting off).

Tuesday 12th, day off work to recover!

Tracey x

Blarney Castle & Gardens
Castles, Historic Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Historic Walking Areas
Kilkenny Castle
Historic Sites, Castles
Trim Castle
Castles, Historic Sites
Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,992 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August Itinerary

I would say that you have your trip well planned out, not taking on too much and still allowing yourself time to explore each area. Give yourself a pat on the back!

County Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
782 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August Itinerary

Looks like a great trip! If possible I would try to see Kinsale as a day trip from Cork City and head towards Baltimore fairly early to do sea safari on that day. Then do Beara on way to Killarney. It will be a long day but doable. Have fun!!!!

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,734 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August Itinerary

If arriving by ferry from Holyhead into Dublin Port on a Friday evening I strongly suggest you use the Port Tunnel to get you out to the M50, we once spent one and a half hours trying to get OUT of Dublin on a Friday evening!!!

Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: August Itinerary

Dokgolf, it was all down to reading this forum and the great advice given. I changed the ferry times and added the first and last stops.

Sherrigoleen and Fuschia I'll bear both of those in mind. Beara looks so small on the map lol and Hubby will be blowing a gasket if it takes that long so I'll definitely guide him towards the Port Tunnel.

Let's just hope the passports come in time now. I hear so many conflicting views as to whether we need one from England we renewed them at the end of May just in case and we're still waiting...

Cheers

Tracey

Edited: 09 July 2014, 17:06
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,734 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: August Itinerary

You dont need a passport if travelling in your own car by ferry. If you have it in time there's no harm bringing it but any form of ID will do, although I have never been asked on that route.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
216 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: August Itinerary

Agreed. Kinsale as a day trip from Cork will allow you more time to see that beautiful town, and, shorten your journey considerably going to Baltimore.

Excellent planning! Hope you get good weather.

Mags.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
3,808 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: August Itinerary

Looks a great trip, I can see you've put time and thought into it.

Hope you have a great trip and have fun!

The tunnel saves a lot of time and the fee varies from €3-€10 depending on time of travel. You'll be going southbound so the fee is €3 at around 5.30 pm. Get some euro coins on the ferry in preparation for toll roads.

On the way back to Dublin port go through the city centre rather than using the M50, time wise and mileage is very similar but it saves you paying a toll fee. There's a toll free toll that you drive through and you have until the following day to pay it, but if you don't drive on it it saves you paying out. Another alternative is to register your car on the e flow site so if you do drive on the M50 the payment will be taken from your bank. I've driven both routes quite regular and prefer going through the city.

Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: August Itinerary

Thanks for saying it's well planned,it took ages, lots of juggling and changing. I've got a spreadsheet with places to visit, entrance fees and such like cos I'm a saddo lol. Hubby said there'll be nothing new to visit cos I've seen it all on the net already!!

I was planning on Kinsale for half a day, I'll look into a full day, we're hoping to visit Cobh and Blarney in one day.

Thanks for the advice re passports and tolls too much appreciated.

Cheers

Tracey x

9. Re: August Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 00:16