We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Activity Advice- 7 nights, arrive Shannon leave Dublin

San Diego...
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Activity Advice- 7 nights, arrive Shannon leave Dublin

Traveling with 2 recent college graduates, 4 in our party altogether.

Arrive Shannon 6 am drive to Doolin with first night in Doolin.

Activity Cliffs of Mohor-hike or boat. Relax in evening taking in pubs and music.

Second day drive Doolin to Dingle. Are there any activities or sites to take in along the way? Which way should we go? Take a ferry for part of the way?

Stay in Dingle 1 night and second night on Inch Beach. Activities would include Slea Head Dr, Connor Pass, Ring of Kerry possibly Skelig Micheal (but concerned about this activity).

Next Dingle to Kinsale with overnight in Kinsale. Activity would include Blarney Castle.

Next Kinsale to Wexford with overnight in Wexford. Activity Cobh, Waterford Crystal Factory.

Wexford to Dublin. We have to be in Dublin to drop car before 3 pm. Two nights in Dublin.

Activities would include Hop on/off bus, Guiness Storehouse, Jamison Distillery (maybe), Trinity College

Leave Dublin in morning

Open to any ideas or suggestions about itinerary. Interests are pubs, music, culture. I know I have a lot of holes in the plan. Leaving mid August.

Thanks in advance.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,568 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Activity Advice- 7 nights, arrive Shannon leave Dublin

Responses below prefixed by ####

Arrive Shannon 6 am drive to Doolin with first night in Doolin.

#### Fine. Journey:40 miles - about 1 hour travel - no stops

Activity Cliffs of Moher-hike or boat. Relax in evening taking in pubs and music.

#### All doable. Would you consider doing a Burren Hillwalk with Shane Connolly at 10am on this morning? It would certainly blow some of the jet lag away? It's a 3-4 hour easy hike over the burren. It would be a 48 mile trip from Shannon to Ballyvaughan and then a 15 mile journey back to Doolin after that. You would have time to do Cliffs of Moher on that day also.

Second day drive Doolin to Dingle. Are there any activities or sites to take in along the way? Which way should we go? Take a ferry for part of the way?

#### 115 Miles via the ferry, 3 hours, no stops. 145 miles if you don't use the ferry and go via Limerick. This journey about 3.5 hours, no stops. But if you did the longer journey you could stop in Adare for lunch as it is right on your route. If you go the shorter route, Listowel in County Kerry would be a good stop off point. The shorter route is also more coastal than the longer.

Stay in Dingle 1 night and second night on Inch Beach. Activities would include Slea Head Dr, Connor Pass, Ring of Kerry possibly Skelilg Michaell (but concerned about this activity)

#### Stay in Dingle 2 nights. No point driving 16 miles to Inch just to change accommodation. Waste of time and better to always try and stay at one accommodation for more than one night. You are on the wrong peninsula for Ring of Kerry and Skellig Michael. When staying in Dingle you can drive the Dingle Peninsula. Portmagee (ferry point for Skellig Michael) is 70 miles a journey of 2+ hours. If you want to go to Skellig from Dingle, you will need to leave Dingle about 7:30am to make the 10am ferries from Portmagee.

Next Dingle to Kinsale with overnight in Kinsale. Activity would include Blarney Castle.

#### 116 miles, 3 hours, no stops. Blarney Castle is 23 miles from Kinsale a journey time of about 50 minutes. Biggest issue here is that you have to navigate your way through Cork City to get to Blarney from Kinsale. I recommend that (a) you knock Blarney off your list and concentrate on Kinsale or (b) Knock Kinsale off your list and travel direct from Dingle to Blarney and overnight there. (Dingle to Blarney 109 miles, journey time 2.5 hours). My recommendation this time though is that you keep Kinsale on your list.

Next Kinsale to Wexford with overnight in Wexford. Activity Cobh, Waterford Crystal Factory.

#### Yes, this is doable. It's 132 miles (4 hours) from Kinsale to Cobh to Waterford and to Wexford. If you stop at Cobh (which you should do) add 2 hours at very least, if you stop at Waterford add 3 hours at very least. This gives you a travel day of about 9 hours (all going well ;-) On this trip you will also pass by Midleton. Home to the Jameson Whiskey experience.

Wexford to Dublin. We have to be in Dublin to drop car before 3 pm. Two nights in Dublin.

#### 88 Miles, about two hours. Easily doable before 3 pm depending on your departure time. Wicklow town would be a good half way stop.

Activities would include Hop on/off bus, Guiness Storehouse, Jameson Distillery (maybe), Trinity College

#### All doable over two days and more too.

Leave Dublin in morning

#### ;-((

#### You need to have a think about your trips to Dingle and Kinsale. (Whether to visit Skellig and Blarney are the main questions really. Also don't split your stay in Dingle up by changing accommodation after one night. Come back if any more questions.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,527 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Activity Advice- 7 nights, arrive Shannon leave Dublin

Stay in Dingle 1 night and second night on Inch Beach. Activities would include Slea Head Dr, Connor Pass, Ring of Kerry possibly Skelig Micheal (but concerned about this activity).

Agree with Bryno, moving 15 miles up the road is pointless, you can drive to Inch in 20 mins. You cant sleep on the beach and anyway you will go through Inch on the way out (not a lot to do there but stunning scenery). Slea Head takes a half day. Ring of Kerry and Skellig Michael from Dingle is impossible,.

Just a note;- have seen several itineraries in the last week or so saying things like day 6: - RoK and Dingle Peninsula, this is quite impossible but I am wondering where it started from? Is someone out there (guide book?) suggesting it?

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Activity Advice- 7 nights, arrive Shannon leave Dublin

Another vote for advice given by Bryno and fuchsia.

Day 2 : Doolin-Dingle

I much prefer the coast/ferry route, rather than Limerick tunnel/Adare; you could take this route, stop off at Loop Head on the way down:

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i21401-West_C…

http://www.loopheadclare.com/

flickr.com/photos/…

Definitely two nights in Dingle town; if you take the afore-mentioned route, it could take most of the day to get to Dingle, so a 2-night stay will give you 1 full day to explore the sights/sites on Slea Head and spend some time in town:

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i19068-Best_o…

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i19854-Dingle…

flickr.com/photos/…

Have you booked your accommodation in Dingle yet? August is a busy time!

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
4,031 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Activity Advice- 7 nights, arrive Shannon leave Dublin

You will pass the Tralee Wetlands as you head out towards Dingle. It's well worth a stop for tea and scones or for lunch. Parking and admission are free and there is a tour available which is good value. If there are any history buffs in your group, the County Museum is close by. In Listowel, the Seanachaí Centre has opened a new tea room and it is gorgeous.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Activity Advice- 7 nights, arrive Shannon leave Dublin

Another "heads up" for the Wetlands Centre; we spent a couple of hours there last summer on our way down to Dingle. The food in the cafe was really good!

Might have to stop by Listowel this summer - any chance to try a new cafe!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Activity Advice- 7 nights, arrive Shannon leave Dublin

Thanks for your valuable information.

The Burren hike we would consider if we get there in time. With customs and car rental not sure we can as we arrive at 6 am.

Had planned Inch Beach stay because I thought it might be interesting but would consider staying in Dingle another night. I do have accommodations everywhere but would need to check Dingle for a 2 night stay.

So if we cut out Skelig Micheal what sites do we concentrate on while in the Dingle area? So from Dingle to Kinsale we would bypass the ROK? Is is worth doing or do you encounter similiar scenery on Dingle Pennisula?

Impossible to do Blarney on way to Kinsale because Cork gets in the way? Is navagating Cork difficult? My daughter really wants to do Blarney and we are interested in staying in Kinsale, but if really impossible would rethink our plans.

Thanks so much!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Activity Advice- 7 nights, arrive Shannon leave Dublin

ok thanks so we will skip ROK because not possible from our location and concentrate on Dingle Peninsula and stay 2 nights in Dingle.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Activity Advice- 7 nights, arrive Shannon leave Dublin

I like the idea of the coastal route and will plan on a 2 night stay in Dingle. Thank you.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,527 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Activity Advice- 7 nights, arrive Shannon leave Dublin

I would spend more time on the Dingle peninsula and then drive to Kinsale throughKillarney and skip the RoK. You could perhaps go to the Blasket Islands from Dingle or Dunquin rather than Skellig Michael.

When you come in to Dingle go along the North Coast of the Peninsula and the Connor Pass, and when you leave take the southern route past Inch Beach, that way there is no backtracking. Slea Head is unmissable IMO, do it clockwise though! You could do a boat trip to see Fungi or walk out along the shore.

Edited: 12 July 2014, 17:03
San Diego...
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Activity Advice- 7 nights, arrive Shannon leave Dublin

Thanks. I booked 2 nights in Dingle and canceled Inch Beach accomodations.