We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car for 7 passengers + luggage

Strawberry, Arizona
Level Contributor
15 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Rental car for 7 passengers + luggage

I know it's a lot of people, but my parents are taking some of us "kids" (we're all in our 50's) on holiday to Ireland. They want to get a rental car from Shannon airport travelling to Dingle area where we are renting a house 16 Aug - 23 Aug. Having traveled on Europe's motorways in the past, I don't think that a larger vehicle is best. Any suggestions? 2 smaller rental vehicles vs a "bus/van". I've checked Dooley and they don't list larger vehicles.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,809 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental car for 7 passengers + luggage

Having just driven approximately 3,500 miles over European roads (over the last 3 weeks or so) - a large amount of which was motorway, I would argue that bigger is most definitely better.

However, the more people a car seats, conversely in most cases, the less space for luggage. What you need to look for is a Mercedes Vito or a VW Caravelle. These are 9 seater cars/vans with space for luggage.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,989 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental car for 7 passengers + luggage

I've rented ("hired") those types of vehicles numerous times in Ireland. Including from Dooley. It's possible you've left it too late, as they are popular and most companies don't have a lot of them.

But 7 people would be crowded anyway if there was any luggage at all, and I'd recommend looking into 2 vehicles. (There's the added advantage of not having to have the whole group constantly doing the same thing at the same time! )

Strawberry, Arizona
Level Contributor
15 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental car for 7 passengers + luggage

Thanks! Both my husband and I are frequent travelers and "know how to pack". Unfortunately the rest of our family members do not and feel like the need to bring 2 suitcases each. Room for luggage is definitely a concern.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,809 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental car for 7 passengers + luggage

Take a look at "sausage" bags. I'm sure there's a more correct term. The sausage bags can be moulded (generally) to suit what space is available. And if there are still issues, get the squeezable vaccuum bags, put them in to the sausage bags, fill them with clothes, seal then sit or lean on them and squish the air out. It will often reduce the volume by 50%.

We use the large, rollable vaccuum bags when we travel with bed linen and towels and it really does save a lot of space!!

Also tell the rest of the group that launderettes are available in all of the larger towns. And that a lot of self-catering establishments have washing machines :o)

Edited: 16 July 2014, 09:36
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,989 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental car for 7 passengers + luggage

"Unfortunately the rest of our family members do not and feel like the need to bring 2 suitcases each. Room for luggage is definitely a concern."

Is that 2 suitcases plus a carry on? Plus whatever purchases they might acquire along the way? Ouch. :)

Someone might need to be "in charge" and just tell them there is no way (If I'm doing the math right) that there is a vehicle that's going to hold 18--20 bags! Unless the people are planning on loading the vehicle and walking bedside it lol.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,642 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental car for 7 passengers + luggage

I Would definitely go for two smaller cars for convenience, it gives you the option of splitting up during the week, not everyone wants to go to the same place every day, you could split up and meet in the evenings.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,505 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental car for 7 passengers + luggage

if your family insist on bringing 2 bags each, you'll need 3 small cars....that's a minimum of 14 bags......or as irishfan stated, upwards of 20 if there are carry-ons and personal items....for a week that is really overkill in the extreme.....whether you get a 9 passenger people hauler, or if you get 3 cars, there is going to be luggage exposed while you are away from the car, and to the danger of being stolen......have them read this forum, if they doubt you, so they'll know you are stating facts....not to mention you might remind them they may be toting those bags up stairs.....

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
18,120 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental car for 7 passengers + luggage

it looks as if the op would be better off hiring a bus eireann single decker for the journey! or at least two minibuses! why on earth would someone need two suitcases of clothes for a weeks holiday?

Edited: 16 July 2014, 17:04
Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,386 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental car for 7 passengers + luggage

I am with all here that that is entirely too much luggage. You need to tell your family that they get one rolling carry on each for the trip and one backpack or other shoulder type of bag, that is it!

DH and I travel for 2 weeks at a time and can easily do it, yes you have to do laundry in the middle of the trip but that is not a big deal, you drop it off in the morning and pick it up in the afternoon. Pack a very collapsible bag in that suitcase, that way if they have purchased other things during the trip they can check the one suitcase on the way home and carry on the other bag with the goodies.

Strawberry, Arizona
Level Contributor
15 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental car for 7 passengers + luggage

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and comments. I've convinced the rest of the family that if they bring more than one piece of luggage they are going to be holding it on their lap from the Shannon airport all the way to Dingle Bay. :) Amazing how everyone is now only bringing one! We have decided to get 2 vehicles allowing for a bit of additional room, not to mention freedom of not having to go everywhere due to having only 1 vehicle. Any advantages of renting from Dooley vs a company more familiar like Hertz, Avis, etc?