We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting stops between Belfast and Dublin

Rabat, Malta
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting stops between Belfast and Dublin

Hi,

We will be travelling from Belfast to Dublin Airport on a Friday in August and we plan to leave Belfast in the morning and the flight is at 6.00pm. We would like to stop somewhere, maybe see something interesting on our way down to the airport as we do not want to arrive to the airport too early and waste a lot of time waiting for our flight. Any good ideas please of where we can stop or what we can visit? Thanks :)

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting stops between Belfast and Dublin

I am presuming that you have your own car, and therefore suggest Newgrange to you. Well worth a vist - heritageireland.ie/en/…

As you cannot pre-book, I would suggest that you be there early in the day and allow 3 hours for your visit. Newgrange is about 50 minutes from Dublin airport

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
21,589 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting stops between Belfast and Dublin

i would plump for a visit to malahide and howth. both lovely villages and with castles. and both close to the airport, so you can have a good meal before you fly

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting stops between Belfast and Dublin

With a 2 hour drive and needing to be in the airport you could conceivably make a couple of short diversions.

maybe the Slieve Gullion forest park mournecooleygullion.com/attractions/gullion/…

or Monastraboice is 5 mins off the motorway, and easily visiting southbound and an easy stop.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
9,027 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting stops between Belfast and Dublin

I would go with Monasterboice (has the most beautiful High Cross in all of Ireland).

Or if weather permitting, a little detour and a lovely long walk on Bettystown Beach near Drogheda?

Or leave those suggestions out and take in the Carlingford peninsula. Carlingford (www.carlingford.net/) is a gem and it should be possible to drive around or across the peninsula within the time frame.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
456 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting stops between Belfast and Dublin

Here are some options:

Newgrange

Mellifont Abbey

Monasterboice

Four Knocks

Skerries

Honestly that area is rich with things to see, so this just scratches the surface. Search the forum, there have been posts that go into great detail on sites in the area.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,923 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting stops between Belfast and Dublin

I love Monasterboice and the Hill of Tara.....Tara is only about 40 minutes from Dublin airport...

Rabat, Malta
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting stops between Belfast and Dublin

Thank you all... did not expect to receive as much info as you've given me! Will do my research and decide! Thanks once again!

8. Re: Visiting stops between Belfast and Dublin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2015, 05:17