We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting gas?

Ketchikan, Alaska
Level Contributor
274 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Getting gas?

I know this may be a silly question, however when I fill up, how should I expect to pay? Will my visa debit card do fine? Or should I withdraw cash?

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,844 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting gas?

Visa Debit will be fine

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting gas?

Filling stations are one place where payment by card is very common in Ireland, if only because the transactions are always substantial.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
17,428 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting gas?

Greetings, A few petrol stations I used, were having problems w/cards, it was easier to pay in euros.

Hope this helps.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,682 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting gas?

Just be aware that gas is something used to cook with, you will fill up with either diesel or unleaded petrol. MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHICH YOUR CAR TAKES!! Putting the wrong stuff in immediately wrecks the engine. Diesel has a black tube and unleaded has green.

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,396 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting gas?

Were having problems with all cards or just yours? Most unusual for a few stations to have issues.

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
4,083 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting gas?

I've never had a problem using the card at petrol stations. Petrol is I gather far more expensive here than in the USA and do be careful choosing either diesel or petrol. They are clearly marked but we all have our moments. Petrol prices can vary from town to town and indeed from garage to garage so keep an eye out for that. Some garages have a system that you pay first if it's after 11pm.

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,396 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting gas?

Good point fuschia as in the States, petrol comes from the black pump and diesel from the green one. Keeps you on your toes!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
21,473 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting gas?

fuschia. the tubes are the same black, but it is the nozzles that are different. black for diesel, green for unleaded petrol.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
17,428 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting gas?

Small little village, no problem using my cards at ATM, or, anywhere else. It also happened at a large town in Mayo, a number of years ago.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
456 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting gas?

Another big difference is in Ireland you pump first and then pay inside. I didn't run across any pay at the pump station during my trip.