We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurling/Gaelic football match late July 2014

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hurling/Gaelic football match late July 2014

Hello,

I'm a Canadian female travelling alone to Dublin and it was strongly recommended to me that I get myself a ticket for the All-Ireland Quarter-Final Series hurling match at Semple Stadium in Thurles on July 27th. I am wondering if it matters which stands (old vs. new) I sit in? I have seen others discourage buying tickets in advance, but I am wondering if this is different at this point in the season? Any suggestions or thoughts?

Kilkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurling/Gaelic football match late July 2014

Hi,

I would buy tickets in advance, just to have them - as there are two games on that day - and all counties will have a big following. They will be two cracking games! It's hard to beat championship hurling - especially in Semple! Any stand will do to be honest, both the same! Except the new stand, is actually the old stand, and the older stand, is called the new stand! You'll see when you get there!! Enjoy! :)

Tipperary, Ireland
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurling/Gaelic football match late July 2014

Hi,

Thurles is easily accessible from Dublin. About an hour and a half from Heuston (Dublin) to Thurles train station. I would book train tickets online for that day as Tipperary are playing Dublin and there will be a large Dublin support travelling. So that would be the first thing I would do. Semple stadium has a capacity of nearly 55,000. It might be close to full so I would definately buy a ticket before coming over. You should be able to pick one up relatively ok on the day but just to be on the safe side.....I had a look on ticketmaster there and they don't seem to be on general sale just yet but might be in the coming days when the qualifiers end this Saturday. So keep an eye out for that.

There should be a raucous atmosphere at these games so it will be a massive eyeopener. Semple stadium is steeped in history and the mecca for Hurling in Ireland. Make sure to have a bulmers cider in the square and sample the atmosphere and banter before the games. Enjoy.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurling/Gaelic football match late July 2014

Amazing! Thanks so much. I found a ticket available through GAA Ireland so I'm going to order it, along with my spot on the train.

I'm very grateful for your responses. Thank-you!

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,206 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurling/Gaelic football match late July 2014

I agree with the other posters and would definitely buy the tickets in advance. They seem to be on sale now on the gaa.ie website and you can print off your ticket at home.

There will be a amazing atmosphere at the games. Semple Stadium is a great place for hurling and many of the players list it as their favourite place to play.

Enjoy the day, I will probably be there myself:-)

Edit: our posts crossed but be sure you buy your ticket from the official GAA website.

www.gaa.ie

Edited: 18 July 2014, 12:18
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hurling/Gaelic football match late July 2014

Thanks again! Yes, I bought my ticket directly from gaa.ie...

Next question, what time should I book my train for? The ticket said the event begins at 4:00pm but I read somewhere online 2:00pm. Any suggestions? More importantly, I am unsure how late this would go, so I am mostly concerned with being sure I take the right train home. Any suggestions?

Again, many thanks for the quick assistance!

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,890 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hurling/Gaelic football match late July 2014

Further details here for Hurling Quarter Finals and travel by train from Dublin on 27th July, 2014:

http://www.irishrail.ie/hurling

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hurling/Gaelic football match late July 2014

Thanks again to all! Ticket bought, train booked - now I just need to figure out who to cheer for and what colours to wear.

Cheers!

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,890 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hurling/Gaelic football match late July 2014

Maybe, as the matches are in Co Tipperary, that county's colors would be a good compromise!

gaa.ie/about-the-gaa/…

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
183 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hurling/Gaelic football match late July 2014

As a neutral, and thinking of you travelling to and from Dublin with the Dubs, I'd suggest you get your hands on a Dublin jersey!! Very good accessory with jeans! Enjoy!

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hurling/Gaelic football match late July 2014

I'd suggest going to the Elverys sports shop at Croke Park and choose the jersey that you most like yourself. The opening hours of the shop can be found here: elverys.ie/images/…store_opening_hours.pdf