We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Jamison tour at Midleton worth it?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is the Jamison tour at Midleton worth it?

I have been to Scotland and toured the distilleries of Islay. You see the malting floor, the wash backs, the copper stills, the dunage wear house, the whole working distillery.

I'm wondering if the Jamison 'experience' is worth my while. If it's just a video and some interpretive props, I might skip it and spend my time more time and money in Cork instead.

Has anyone taken tour what did you think?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,591 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the Jamison tour at Midleton worth it?

I loved it.

I haven't done a tour of the Scottish Distilleries but I've done a tour of Kilbeggan Distillery, the Hennessy Distillery in Cognac and the Mercier Champagne Cellars in Epernay.

They take you around the various areas, the old stills, the mash etc but they also do a tasting at the end. And a few volunteers are invited to compare and contrast different whiskeys. Then everyone over 18 gets a whiskey at the end. Our guide was very informative and very pleasant and I'd have no problems doing it again.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
768 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the Jamison tour at Midleton worth it?

I have done the Tullamore and Kilbeggan and preferred the Jameson in Midleton. Bean explained it. Enjoy!

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the Jamison tour at Midleton worth it?

I have been to the Jameson distillery in Middleton and in Dublin, Middleton is very much worth a visit. Not only do you learn about the process they use, but you also learn quite a bit of the history of Jameson there as well.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the Jamison tour at Midleton worth it?

You get taken round what was the old distillery, with all the old stills etc., so it's considerably more than just an interpretive video and a few props. It's also a very attractive site. There is no actual production in the building you visit though. That is all in the modern distillery next door.

To the best of my knowledge, the only Irish distillery tour, which is of a historic, but still working distillery is the Bushmills one.

Edited: 14 August 2014, 17:10
Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
931 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the Jamison tour at Midleton worth it?

My husband and I did the Jameson tour in Dublin last Friday. We really enjoyed it. You saw a short film about the history which was interesting. Then about a 40 minute tour of the "distillery." I found out some interesting things about whiskey making vs bourbon making. I was one of he volunteers to do the taste sampling. Loved the whiskey.......didn't enjoy the scotch. It was 20 euros a piece.

Nice shop also. We bought one special reserve that you can get a label made for and Greg got red breast 15 year. Tho at the airport they had the 15 year for 30 euro cheaper.

Anyway. It was a fun couple hours last week.

Take care

Sandi

6. Re: Is the Jamison tour at Midleton worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2015, 05:16