We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using a GPS to locate Places of Interest

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
919 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Using a GPS to locate Places of Interest

Hi and thanks for your help in Advance, my question is as follows,

When using the GPS (it comes with my rental and I will have a map as well) Can you input the name of the place your are going such as for example Cahir Castle and it will come up on the GPS

or will I have to input the coordinates such as N52.373713, W-7.927494, also can you input the city you want to get to without having the coordinates?

Please let me know as I am trying to get all the GPS coordinates in advance, I have them all to every place we are staying during our 10 day trip and several but not all of the places we want to see as well.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks again

Rob

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
401 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using a GPS to locate Places of Interest

Well ... yes and no!

So here's what I did ....

At home, before the trip I loaded the European map chip into the Garmin. I then searched for the locations in the Garmin, i.e. Cahir Castle. Be aware there are many places with the same name in Ireland, so you'll need to know which county the site is located in. So that covered about 30% or so of the locations I wanted to load.

For locations not pre-loaded in Garmin:

- Find the site on google maps

- Find located nearby something that is listed, Garda station for example. Then rename the substitute location to the site you really want to get to

- Find the intersection that is closest, then enter the intersection and rename to the site you really want to get to

- If the above 2 don't work, then zoom into google maps and click on the site. The GPS coordinates will come up, then enter those into the Garmin & rename to the site you want

Hope that makes sense!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using a GPS to locate Places of Interest

Like aimeekm, I too purchased the Garmin SD card containing the Ireland/UK maps/points of interest for the portable GPS navigation system I use every day in my personal vehicle. And like you, I wanted to do as much advance work as possible to eliminate the need for on-the-fly research.

Consequently, when I had proper addresses/coordinates, I entered those into the GPS before we left as "Saved Points of Interest". However, certain places, like some smaller B&B's, for example, really didn't have a traditional address that easily translated into the GPS format. Coordinates are identified on some websites, but even with these, we often had difficulty inputting them appropriately. As a result, we quit thinking like Americans and pretty much abandoned using any non-traditional addresses or latitude/longitude coordinates.

Rather, the most successful method we found for getting around was to use the GPS to get us to the town centre and then either located signs pointing to our destination, which were very common for most attractions, B&B's, hotels, etc., or once in the town centre, as my husband drove, I would then use the "near here" category feature (Attractions, Lodging, ATM's, Restaurants...) or just search the name of the attraction on the GPS to obtain turn-by-turn directions from there to our ultimate destination. Popular attractions such as Blarney Castle, Newgrange, and most hotels, larger B&B's, restaurants, etc. could be located simply by searching using its common name.

We just returned from two weeks+ in Ireland and I can honestly say that I was pleasantly surprised that we never had even one single issue getting where we needed to be easily. I will say, however, that it proved invaluable to have two in the car - one to help navigate or count roundabout exits and the other to use 100% of their resources to drive on the left and not sideswipe anything inappropriate on the tiny, tiny Irish roads!

Good luck and safe travels to you!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,363 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using a GPS to locate Places of Interest

a car rented in ireland will have ireland maps on it! so no need for sims etc. and all will use address. i do not see any need for coordinates.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
401 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using a GPS to locate Places of Interest

nakagoli - The above poster and I were saying our preference was to have our own Garmin and program before we got to Ireland.

Also a majority of accommodations and sites I was at don't have addresses. So I do see the need for coordinates, especially if one plans to get a little off the beaten track.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,818 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using a GPS to locate Places of Interest

My rental car in Ireland included a GPS too and I had no difficulty save but one in finding my hotels, my BBs and places of interest. The one BB it could not seem to find was down a small lane but locals were able to direct me! Never entered the coordinates. It even got me to the Dromberg stone circles which were really off the beaten track!

There are also many signs to the popular tourist sites.

6. Re: Using a GPS to locate Places of Interest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2015, 07:15