We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental insurance and details

Car rental insurance and details

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2016, 17:00
Maryland
Level Contributor
3,414 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental insurance and details

Look one inch to the right and read "Car Rental Quotes CDW and SCDW help" under the heading of "Top Questions About Ireland" and you will get lots of info. This topic is on every other page of the forum questions and topics.

Cheers,

Sunny

Ontario
Level Contributor
307 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental insurance and details

We just returned from Ireland yesterday, and we had an excellent experience with Dan Dooley's. We refused the first car they offered as it had a worn tire - and believe me, you need good tires to navigate the roads in Ireland. There was no fuss, they gave us another car that had just been cleaned and was still dripping from the washing. It was a shiny new Renault Clio - just a lovely little car. While Dooley's does offer full insurance, we declined it because we have good coverage via a Visa Gold card from whom we secured a letter of confirmation to that effect. (We, also had contacted our car insurance provider in Ontario and were told that we are only covered in North America for a rental car.)

We chose Dan Dooley's exactly because of their transparency. They are familiar with the credit cards which offer theft, damage, loss insurance so they didn't even ask for our confirmation letter. We had no trouble at all upon returning the car. We caused it no scratches, bumps or bruises, so the processing was so simple. Everything was done in just a few minutes.

I have no reservations about recommending them. I think they deliver what they promise. They seem to have a good reputation on TA - so no need to worry.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
13,216 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental insurance and details

If you are getting your rental through a package rather than directly with DD then you need to look closely at what is included in your package price - just because DD includes CDW and SCDW when quoting directly doesn't mean that both are included in your package. If SCDW (which is an option, not part of the 'all insurances included') is not included then expect to pay more at the counter or take the risk and have a ca. EUR 2000 hold on your credit card.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental insurance and details

You should be asking these questions from the company that sold you the Package! Dooley is often praised (and justifiably, so) for being forth-right and up-front as to what THEY charge. BUT . . .

YOU are NOT renting from THEM. The provider of the 'Package' is doing that -- in YOUR name.

You need to ask the Package provider EXACTLY which Insurances are included -- CDW? Theft Cover? 'Excess' (also known as SUPER- CDW or CDI)?

IF you had rented DIRECTLY from Dooley, they would have listed those answers, BUT, all of those coverages are OPTIONAL. What the Package provider CHOSE to include will determine what 'EXTRA' Costs are entailed.

In ANY event, at pick up, you will be required to Post a Credit Card deposit for the Initial tank of fuel (Probably in the vicinity of 100 Euro +/-) and pay for any additions -- such as Extra Drivers, Child Car Seats/Boosters, GPS or Mobile WiFi device, IF you wish any of those items.

If the 'Excess' is NOT provided, THAT can run between 15-25 Euro, PER DAY, additional. If the total cost of the Package was billed 'Per Person', then you probably can NOT use a Credit Card to waive that cost -- as ALL of the Car Hire transactions (Booking, Pick Up AND Return) MUST be done using the Covering Credit Card. Likewise, you can neither include, nor accept, ANY of the Car Hire Insurance -- Which means that if the Package includes CDW, then the Credit Card Coverage is Null and Void.

Don't just take MY word for it, though. You need to get direct answers from the people you have the contract with.

Just make sure to ask the RIGHT people -- As in, the Sellers of the 'Package'!

5. Re: Car rental insurance and details

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 July 2014, 15:24
Ontario
Level Contributor
307 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental insurance and details

Thank Reprimo for your clarification - we have never booked through a third party, so I didn't consider the issues you - and dyoll - pointed out. This is what makes TA so valuable. BTW, NiceIrlande, I don't object to the use of upper case letters to emphasize information in a post. With only one script to utilize, it is the only way to emphasize an important point and I think we all understand that it isn't shouting.

7. Re: Car rental insurance and details

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 July 2014, 15:24
8. Re: Car rental insurance and details

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 July 2014, 12:05
Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental insurance and details

Nice -- If the manner of my posting offends you, I apologize.

But, then -- The posting was not intended for you. Rather, it was intended for the myriad of posters who do not understand the vagaries of Car Hire in Ireland -- a Goodly number, it would seem.

As I opened the Ireland Forum this morning, of the 'Top' 20 threads, 9 of them reference "Car Hire" in some way, shape or form. This does not include the "Sticky" Threads that are permanently affixed along the Right Hand side of the screen.

I would not presume to claim to know how the rules apply to Irish residents. However, as a US resident that has rented cars in Ireland almost two dozen times over the past 15 years (Mostly using a Credit Card to waive the insurance fees), I consider myself well-informed on the topic as it relates to visitors from North America. Since those rules vary by nationality (US versus Canadian), I tend to emphasize that my answer applies to the specific poster, rather than to all people. I also emphasize the word "NOT", to try to make sure that I am neither misunderstood, nor misread.

If the method of my response offends, please know that such was not my intent.

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental insurance and details

remprimo, your posts are full of good information and I (and I'm sure I'm not alone) appreciate them. However, some people find the Caps annoying to read. I'm one of them. The post that you just made was much easier for me to process. Thanks!