We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days in Ireland, what parts of the country should I stay?

Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
6 days in Ireland, what parts of the country should I stay?

I am spending 6 days in Ireland in early November, flying into Dublin on a Tuesday morning and flying out of Dublin on the following Monday. I am traveling solo, and I am more interested in seeing the scenery than walking around the city all day. I do like to drink and want to enjoy the nightlife though, so I'd prefer to stay in areas that permit that rather than sleepy little villages. I will have a rental car, so I don't mind driving to those quaint areas during the day to enjoy the landscape just as long as I can get back to where the people are in the evenings. I'm planning on spending at least one night in Dublin either at the beginning or end of my trip- can't decide. Is one day enough time in Dublin? I've read about other places like Kilkenny, Cork City, Killarney, Dingle, and Galway which all seem like great areas to stay- but I can't decide which is best and I certainly don't have time for all, right? I for sure want to see the Cliffs of Moher, tour a castle or two, and most of all just enjoy being alone in what I've heard is the most beautiful place in the world.

Here is a rough idea of what I am thinking, but I'd love suggestions!

Day 1 & 2: Dublin

Day 3: Drive South through Wicklow to Kilkenny and stay the night there.

Day 4: Drive to Cork County, visit the Blarney Castle, stop in Kinsale, then drive to Killarney and stay the night there- I heard Mustang Sally's is a fun place to go at night.

Day 5: Wake up and visit Ross Castle, Torc Waterfall, and Killarney National Park. From Killarney drive to the Dingle Peninsula and spend the night there.

Day 6: From Dingle drive to the Cliffs of Moher. From there head to Galway and spend my last night in Galway, waking up early and heading back to Dublin to catch my flight the next day.

Is this way too much? Should I skip anything, add anything? I was also contemplating just spending one night in Dublin and heading out for my adventures on Day 2. Would it make more sense to go directly from Dublin to Galway, then make my way back around spending my last night in Kilkenny?

Am I completely out of my mind?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Blarney Castle Hotel
Blarney Castle Hotel
375 Reviews
Blarney, Ireland
Ross Castle
Ross Castle
2,318 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Killarney National Park
Killarney National Park
5,906 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
The Dingle Peninsula
The Dingle Peninsula
672 Reviews
County Kerry, Ireland
Torc Waterfall
Torc Waterfall
2,982 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Dingle
Dingle
Dingle Peninsula, Ireland
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
County Wicklow
County Wicklow
Province of Leinster, Ireland
Kinsale
Kinsale
County Cork, Ireland
Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,681 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 days in Ireland, what parts of the country should I stay?

To me it is way too much, I am not at all into the drive to X, spend the night, get up and drive to Y. You will not have time to really get to know where you are if your days are spent driving from X to Y. Of course everyone travels differently, but I have as trip planned with the same general stops (minus Dublin and Galway) outlined for our 4th trip (which will be after our upcoming April/May trip). We will be taking 16 nights for that trip...so to me you are trying to do way too much for a very short 6 day stay.

If it were me, I would use those 6 nights and concentrate on a 1/4 of the island maximum, so from Dublin to the southeast or Dublin to the northeast. There are plenty of amazing things to see doing that...On our first visit to Ireland we stayed in Dublin for 5 nights and still managed to miss a good bit that we wanted to see in the local area (including Wicklow and Newgrange).

Where are you flying from? Also keep in mind that in November your days will be getting short and you certainly don't want to be driving around the Irish countryside at night!

Mentioned in this post
Newgrange
Newgrange
483 Reviews
Donore, Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
County Wicklow
County Wicklow
Province of Leinster, Ireland
Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,681 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 days in Ireland, what parts of the country should I stay?

Oh, and you may find this website handy for figuring drive times (adding 20-25% to what it states): http://www.theaa.ie/routes/

Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 days in Ireland, what parts of the country should I stay?

I think Galway and the west coast would be the best fit for what you want. It's directly west from Dublin, so the shorter drive, you could go to the cliffs, limerick (dromoland castle) there's also I think bunratty castle that has like a medieval village reenactment and a feast... Galway is a beautiful and authentic city but still has a nightlife.. Drive up to Connemara and check out that area and klynemore abbey, day trip to Aran islands.. All of this is beautiful and won't have you wasting too much precious time in a car.

Mentioned in this post
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Connemara
Connemara
County Galway, Ireland
Aran Islands
Aran Islands
County Galway, Ireland
Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,569 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 days in Ireland, what parts of the country should I stay?

Are you flying to and from UK, elsewhere in Europe, North America, or somewhere else?

Thinking of jet lag and/or Pre-Clearance at Dublin Airport, if your departure is to the US.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin Airport
Dublin Airport
Dublin, Ireland
Europe
Europe
World
Ireland
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 days in Ireland, what parts of the country should I stay?

Days will also be quite short in November.

Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 days in Ireland, what parts of the country should I stay?

Thanks for the tips! I am flying from the states on an overnight flight. I only have 6 days, so sleeping isnt really too important.

Gardn198- I like your idea. Dublin to Galway sounds good... but I have heard such great things about Dingle too. Do you think Connemara>Dingle?

Also, if I stay in Galway is it central enough to do short day trips elsewhere and then venture back to town?

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Dingle
Dingle
Dingle Peninsula, Ireland
Connemara
Connemara
County Galway, Ireland
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,772 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 days in Ireland, what parts of the country should I stay?

Gardn198 "Galway is a beautiful and authentic city but still has a nightlife.." Your uncle told you that, did he?

Mentioned in this post
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
13,861 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 days in Ireland, what parts of the country should I stay?

Its too much for the limited time you have and the time of year. You will either be driving all the daylight hours there are, or driving in the dark.

Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 6 days in Ireland, what parts of the country should I stay?

Bryno- is Galway boring? Where should I stay?!

Mentioned in this post
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,772 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 6 days in Ireland, what parts of the country should I stay?

Galway is NEVER boring

Mentioned in this post
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland