We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Making The Most Out Of 7 days

Riverview, Florida
3 posts
Save Topic
Making The Most Out Of 7 days

Hi there! Planning a trip to Ireland Aug of 2015 for the first time with 3 of my favorite ladies (sorta like a girls night out, but with a week). We are planning to fly into Dublin on a Thursday and leaving from Dublin the following Saturday (more than 7 days but with jet lag, rest and travel to and from the states, deducting two days). We are not into museums or the large touristy spots, we prefer small, quaint towns, friendly atmosphere, hanging out at the local pub hearing amazing stories told by locals, beaches, hiking and scenery. We much prefer to drive on our own to give ourselves more freedom of coming and going as we please, but making the most out of the trip without spending half of it driving. We know we won't get to visit all of Ireland in the week we'll be there and are planning on making at least two more trips in the future. With that being said, should we plan for a North Ireland visit, Southwest or Southeast as our first trip to Ireland?

Also, should we book this on our own or let AAA handle it for us? Are there really benefits going through a travel agency? (First time traveler with the exception of a few Caribbean cruises)

TIA for any tips and advice you can provide!!

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Aquaventures
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling
My Ireland Tour
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Multi-day Tours
Ireland
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Making The Most Out Of 7 days

We can sort out your itinerary and won't charge you! Not sure Irish beaches will match Florida, we are just back from two weeks in Dingle, we swam every day and sat on the beach, to the amazement of by passing tourists. (Two years ago, tourists actually asked if they could take photos of the mad Irish pair in the water as they watched us from the cliff, in their fleeces, hats, gloves and scarves!!)

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Riverview, Florida
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Making The Most Out Of 7 days

That would be amazing @HarveyIreland! Thank you! Any help we can get would be greatly appreciated! My friend and I were looking at Dingle today and fell in love! But we want to make the best out of the short amount of time we'll be there without too much travel. If we can make an eventful trip out of the Southwest, I'd love recommendations! :)

Not all FL beaches are quite what they're made out to be, but we definitely want to experience Ireland beaches!!

Edited: 23 July 2014, 22:38
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
13,971 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Making The Most Out Of 7 days

I wouldnt use an agency, its easy to DIY, book your flights, book your car, book accommodation and off you go. If you do use an agency dont let them sell you the uselss vouchers they are so keen on. And limit yourself to half the island, top or bottom, draw a line from Dublin to Galway and keep above or below it.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
15,352 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Making The Most Out Of 7 days

for the southwest, I suggest flying in and out of Shannon....then you could visit killarney, the ring of Kerry, dingle, slea head, the great blasket, etc....you won't run out of things to see and do....also, if you bring all blue clothes you'll be invisible when you walk because it'll match your skin after you get out of the water, 8-).....

it'll be a trip full of lovely memories for sure....as fushcia said, dyi....the folks on this forum are the best at helping folks have a successful trip.....

Riverview, Florida
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Making The Most Out Of 7 days

Thats what I was thinking @fuschia2014. Going to see an agent next week just to get an idea on what they offer and then doing some research on my own to see if what I find is comparable is quality and cost. THANKS!

@oma14 Dingle is def a must on our first trip! Thanks for the advice! I'll start looking into a SW trip and flying in and out of Shannon :)

6. Re: Making The Most Out Of 7 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2015, 06:15