We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to pack for Autumn Semester???

Americus, Georgia
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What to pack for Autumn Semester???

I will be studying abroad in Ireland for the Autumn Semester and will only be able to take one suitcase and one carry-on bag. What are some things I should (or shouldn't) pack?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia
Level Contributor
12,719 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to pack for Autumn Semester???

Greetings Morgan,

To the right of this Forum, are the Top questions about Ireland.

The questions and answers are compiled from our TA's & DE's.

Scroll to #8. Click on>What is the weather like?

October can be cool, a bit cloudy, giving way to a shower, to clearing, to a downpour, w/icy bits.

Scroll down to #19. Click on>What should I wear, what essentials should I bring?

Packing> Think layers.

I pack the same items for Sept, Oct., Nov., March, April & May. This is for 4-6 weeks.

3 pr. pants

2-3 l.s. pullover shirts

1 poly vest

1 poly jacket

a w.p. w/hood rain jacket

water repellant car coat

water repellant bucket hat

alwero wool hat

gloves w/fingers

w/o finger tips

scarf

alpaca head/ear band

merrell jungle moc nubuck

Keen w.p. hikers

merrell glove runners

work out pants (I walk every day)

socks

Personal items

I hope this helps.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,591 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to pack for Autumn Semester???

Penneys is a chainstore here that has "up to the minute" fashions. The clothing won't become family heirlooms but it does last a season or more.

€100 in Penneys would get you a coat/jacket, several pairs of jeans, several tops and probably some t-shirts as well.

I would suggest you bring some of the clothes you are most emotionally attached to and top up here with clothes from Penneys. By doing so, you will tend to blend in with your fellow students (which is what most teens want to do).

Shorts are big here among those under the age of 30, btw. In winter, woolly tights are worn under the shorts to keep the legs warm :o)

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,388 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to pack for Autumn Semester???

Well, all I can add to that is - have a GREAT time, as I'm sure you will, and don't stress too much about the packing, good advice above. Minimise your packing and purchase the remainder when you get here. You can give any stuff that you don't want to pack on your return journey to a friend or a charity shop.

What city will you be studying at?

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to pack for Autumn Semester???

Bryno for some reason, TA is blocking when I try to answer your PM messages

5. Re: What to pack for Autumn Semester???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2015, 06:15