We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Dingle to Shannon Airport

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
222 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Dingle to Shannon Airport

We will be flying out of Shannon Airport to London at 1:00pm (11:00) on a Wednesday in late September. The drive time from our B&B in Dingle, according to Google, is 2.5 hours. We plan to leave at 8:30am and should arrive at 11:00am according to this. That will give us 2 hours to return the rental car and get to our gate.

Does anyone have any insight to this plan to help me save time, avoid issues?

Is there a high risk of a lot of traffic I should be concerned about?

Is it fairly easy to return a rental car and get through security, etc at Shannon Airport?

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Dingle to Shannon Airport

Much too tight I think. I always allow 2 hours from Tralee to Shannon to allow for any delay,.. I allow an hour from Tralee to Dingle, again you just never know. On the other hand, Shannon is a small and friendly airport so two hours is more than adequate to do you bits and pieces. I'd allow at least 3 hours for the journey. Err on the side of caution and all that.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
3,899 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Dingle to Shannon Airport

I agree with spiceloft and would allow at least 3 hours for that journey. You just never know where you could get held up along the road.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,173 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Dingle to Shannon Airport

Yep, too tight, Newcastlewest can be slow as can Adare.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
222 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Dingle to Shannon Airport

So, you think 3 hours is good then? (Plus the 1.5-2 hours I'm arriving early).

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,173 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Dingle to Shannon Airport

At least.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,627 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Dingle to Shannon Airport

I would say stay closer to the airport...however if you aren't doing that, definitely allow 3 hours minimum for the drive....

while Shannon is a smaller airport and a friendly airport....2 hours to fill the car, turn it in, unload your luggage, load it on the bus, check in on ground floor, off to second floor, and go through 2 security check points, Ireland's , then the U.S.. one, is really taking a big chance....up until this year it's been pretty quick but the U.S. TSA security check saw several folks having their bags searched, some their person checked...so it wasn't as quick as times past....

just something to think about because the price of missing a flight could be costly.....

Edited: 02 August 2014, 17:37
Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Dingle to Shannon Airport

If traveling to London, then the US Pre-Clearance (and secondary Security) probably don't come into play. However, some airlines (Notably, RyanAir) are STICKLERS about being at the gate early. Failing to do so can result in forfeiture of your ticket at hefty financial cost.

Check with your airline, if the two hour recommendation applies, rather than the three hours that is generally required, if US Pre-Clearance is involved.

THAT said, allowing three hours for the Dingle-to-Shannon drive is a MINIMUM. Spiceloft and bannergirl are locals -- familiar with the cars, the roads and doubtless, they are a bit 'jaded' to the scenic beauty -- where as, YOU may find it difficult to match their pace.

Were it me -- a frequent visitor, but a visitor, none the less -- I would allow 3.5 hours, as a minimum. A flat tire, bad weather, or heavy traffic can easily 'eat-up' any 'cushion' time! :-(

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,627 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Dingle to Shannon Airport

sorry gcaldwell, I missed the London part....unless London is just a layover in route back to rhode island, you can probably do it in 2 hours, after you turn the rental in....

thanks remprimo for pointing that out...

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
222 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Dingle to Shannon Airport

Thanks everyone! Our flight is at 1:00pm (13:00) and is to London (not a layover). So we are going to leave the Inn in Dingle at 7:30am which gives us 3 1/2 hours to get to the airport, return the car, check in, etc... Then 2 hours to get to our gate and drink as many Irish Coffee's as we can :-) --- Thanks again!

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
222 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Dingle to Shannon Airport

Oh, and also, we are flying on Aer Lingus.