We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fun things to do with kids in Ireland

Phily
Level Contributor
37 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Fun things to do with kids in Ireland

We are traveling to Ireland in second week of September and I am hoping to get some recommendations on fun things to do with kids. Our 11 and 7 year old girls are coming with us. I put together an itinerary which mostly consists of historical sights and now trying to add something other than castles :). Could you please suggest something on the way from Kingscourt to Kilkenny City? I was thinking to stop by at Tullynally, Birr and Leap Castles on the way but may need to substitute (Birr and Leap?) with a fair or renaissance reenactment village, or something I may not even think about.

Thanks in advance!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fun things to do with kids in Ireland

If your in kingscourt a drive about an hour to the north east will bring you to a very pretty little seaside village of carlingford in co. Louth and it's really nice place to go for a mountain walk and really pretty little village bars and restaurants but they also have the carlingford adventure centre and pony tracking and stuff that might be worth a check out.

The interactive GAA museum in Croke park or imagineosity children's muesume are two good spots in Dublin both super easy to get to on public transport as well. The Viking splash tour is also great fun for kids in Dublin

T

Antarctica
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,252 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fun things to do with kids in Ireland

Fota Wildlife Park is really worth a visit. http://www.fotawildlife.ie/ and it could be balanced out by a trip to the nearby Midleton Distillery (which our younger two enjoyed as well) www.irelandwhiskeytrail.com/…

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fun things to do with kids in Ireland

You might consider

http://www.norevalleypark.com/

http://www.thewatershed.ie/

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,161 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fun things to do with kids in Ireland

Just outside Kilkenny city in the town of Castlecomer you will find the discovery park, which has tree top walks amongst other things. http://www.discoverypark.ie/

We don't really have "re-enactment parks" bar the Bunratty folk park, which is nowhere on your route.

Are you looking to break the journey overnight or for things to see enroute?

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,161 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fun things to do with kids in Ireland

Your route brings you reasonably close to Athboy where you could visit Causey farm, for some fun that your girls would certainly enjoy (and you too!!) http://www.causey.ie/

You wouldn't be a million miles from one of my favourite castles either, in Trim.

www.dochara.com/places-to-visit/trim-castle/

(There's a hotel right next door which would be good for bar food)

Phily
Level Contributor
37 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fun things to do with kids in Ireland

So many wonderful suggestions!

Here is what I have planned so far:

Flying in to Dublin, Staying on Dome street for 3 days to see Trinity College, Dublin Castle, St Patricks Cathedral, Temple Bar, Guiness Storehouse (possibly) and explore Dublin.

Picking up our rental car at the airport and driving up to see Newgrange, and Trim Castle.

Staying one night in Kingscourt, than visiting Tullynally Castle, Birr Castle and Leap Castle on way to Kilkenny City where will will stay for one night.

Next I would like to visit Waterford on our way to Blarney Castle before we stay at Killarney for 2 nights to see Ring of Kerry and maybe do Jaunting Car tours near Ross Castle.

Our next stop is in Ennis to see The Burren and of course Cliffs of Moher.

Flying out from Shannon.

A lot of driving, a lot of history so that's why I am trying to add something pure-kid-fun :) I have all the hotels booked but all of the activities are flexible. Please point out if you see something in this itinerary that should be avoided or added.

Antarctica
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,252 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fun things to do with kids in Ireland

I would skip Waterford and allow time for Fota.

Include the Skelligs Chocolate Factory on the Ring of Kerry trip www.skelligschocolate.com

Bunratty Castle (between Limerick and Ennis) has both history and fun. shannonheritage.com/BunrattyCastleAndFolkPar…

Fionn and Grainne, the resident wolfhounds are gorgeous.

Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fun things to do with kids in Ireland

Check out tayto park. Less than an hour from kingscourt and the kids will love it.

Antarctica
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,252 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fun things to do with kids in Ireland

Tayto Park have a very poor record with their treatment of animals. independent.ie/irish-news/tayto-park-banned-…

Rhfode Island
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Fun things to do with kids in Ireland

You might consider the Donkey Sanctuary at Liscarroll Cork....great spot for animal lovers child or adult