We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passports

San Francisco...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Passports

When traveling in Ireland should you have your passport with you at all times or can you leave it at the hotel or B & B?

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,361 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passports

There is no need to carry your passport at all times, but keep it safe

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,451 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passports

I keep mine with me all the times...of course that could be because i'm older and know that if I had an accident, or illness (God forbid), and was incapacitated, my emergency contact info is in the passport....

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passports

There is no legal requirement to carry any ID with you. If you are fortunate to be still in the flush of youth and wanting to enter pubs catering for that demographic, you may be asked for photographic proof that you are over 18!

Edited: 04 August 2014, 16:16
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passports

The law on this one is complicated

It states that "Every non-national present in the State (other than a non-national under the age of 16 years) shall produce on demand a valid passport or other equivalent document, issued by or on behalf of an authority recognised by the Government, which establishes his or her identity and nationality"

However, this was later found to not be applicable to EU citizens, who should have the same rights as Irish citizens.

There are additional complications too.

A garda can only demand to see identification if you are suspected of an offence. So, as long as you avoid committing offences, it should be OK. In reality few people commit non-motoring offences, so it should be adequate to just carry ID when driving.

Finally, there's an obvious flaw in the legislation in that ID can only be demanded of non-EU citizens, but there's no clear way to identify that someone in a non-EU citizen without them producing ID.

So, in practice, I wouldn't stress about the question. Even if you do find yourself in any trouble, being polite and saying sorry will usually get you the benefit of the doubt.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
769 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passports

Not "required" but for peace of mind I always carry mine with me. I'd hate to have in stolen and go through the hassle of replacing it. Enjoy your trip!!

6. Re: Passports

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2015, 06:16